Sign in to follow this  

I need help!!!! I need a right side stock radiator!

I dont usually ask questions here, but I am stumped!!! I have an 06 KX450F ( that is why I am asking this question here) that does not want to run right. All of a sudden bike starts to pop and decelleration, idle stays high when throttle is closed, and is running very lean.

I have checked the entire carb--cleaned it out and reinstalled, checked timing, checked all wiring and connections, checked stator for any kind of short, richened and leaned out the jetting, and turnred the fuel screw in and out. I have done each of these checks on their own to eliminate them one at a time and none of them has fixed the problem, and everything on the bike seems to be correct.

This problem started to appear slowly last weekend, then I went riding this past Thursday and the problem got so bad I could only ride three laps.

If you have any suggestions, please send them my way.

If you have not done so, I would recommend checking the intake valve clearance. The symptoms you are experiencing sound like a classic "hanging idle" and is normally associated with a lean condition. Since it sounds like you may have eliminated the carb and jetting then the next thing I can think of would be tight intake valves. Also, timing that is out of whack can cause this too.

Check those valves and then let us know what you found.

I checked them just before I went out to ride. Then these syptoms started to happen. But i will check them today and let you know what happens!!!

Thanks

Just checked the intake valves and everything is ship shape!!!! I am thinking that it might be the CDI or some sort of electrical problem. Any more ideas?????

What about the choke or hot start sticking. The symptoms noted could be caused by either of those being stuck. :thumbsup::ride:

What about the choke or hot start sticking. The symptoms noted could be caused by either of those being stuck. :thumbsup::ride:

Ah, yes, hot start stuck open could do it.

Yep I would take the hot start plunger out and make sure it is all free!

I've normally seen them stuck closed, which has actually happened to me. Not sure how one could get stuck open but if it were, it would definitely cause a lean condition and the bike would probably run a little on the crappy side.

I have checked both the hot start and the choke and they are both operating freely. does anyone know how to check the CDI? Am I able to check it with an ohm meter, or do I need some crazt tool???\

thanks

OK guys I am so frustrated!!!!! I have checked everything that I think of. There is nothing that has gone unchecked. The basic problem is that when the bike starts, it sounds fine but as soon as I touvh the throtle at all, the RPM's stay up and then drop down a few seconds later. What the hell can cause this problem??? Any way of checking the CDI or TPS. I unplugged the CDI and the bike runs the same. HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPP!

Check for for possible exhaust leaks at your head pipe and cylinder as well as were the exhaust muffler clamps on. If that's not it, I'm tapped out of ideas.

Try going to the stickied FAQ Thread at the top of every KX450F forum thread list and then downloading the service manual. It may give you the steps necessary to check the CDI and TPS.

As a last resort, maybe try the Jetting forum to see if anyone there has any other ideas.

I had a problem that it run good up untill half throttle an couldnt figure it out. Checked everything plug gas etc. Then I checked the airfilter it was soaking wet. It was suckin water an causing it to pop an crack.