Sign in to follow this  

06 KYB forks

In order to change the fork oil, the manual says I need two special tools.

(1) Large cap bolt ring wrench (YM-01501/90890-01501) [50mm]

(2) Small cap bolt ring wrench (YM-01500/90890-01500) [17mm]

Looking at the pictures in the manual it's obvious I need to buy the large cap bolt ring for the "tuning fork" end. But do I really need the small cap bolt ring wrench? It looks like a 17mm wrench to me...

Are there any other tools I need?

Last question? Best price on these tools are at . . . ?

Thanks.

You need at least the 2 tools to take off the top of the forks.

Motion pro makes a great tool to remove the ICS from the inner rod instead of using the large hex socket.

Yamaha (tools made through K&L) or Racetech make the outer fork cap wrench.

Only other tool would be a 48mm fork seal driver.

I just boguht a really cool outer fork cap wrench tool off of ebay. Search "Yz fork" and it will appear. The cost was about 20 bucks vs the 40 race tech wanted.

The inner cap wrench was also necessary to open the cartrige to change the "inner chamber" oil. I did'nt find a low cost option for this one.

Your correct about the opposite eng. A 17mm socket works fine. A wrench will not work as the bolt sits inside the fork.

Pay special attention to bleeding the cartrige. The manual is quite confusing.

Thanks for the advice on the tools. I'll have to buy them today, so I can start work soon.

Dirt Rider Nov 2005 (with the article by Eric Gorr) is out of stock via the publisher. Would anyone be willing to scan a copy of the article for me? Someone told me the article is in the third edition of his book, but I already have the second edition. I guess I don't like the idea of buying a $20 book for a couple pages . . . (since I ride a YZ 2 stroke, not much else in the book would be new from edition 2).

What weight oil does the cartridge in the 06' KYB take? Is it 5wt?

Thanks

Use Yamaha S1 oil. It doesn't have a specified weight but is somewhere in between 3-5 weight.

What is the amount of oil that is to be put back into the cartride? And how much oil are you putting in the outer chamber and what wt oil in each. Also what is the best manual for the forks? I'm new to the bike. OEM Yamaha manual?

Someone mentioned just putting transmission fluid in the outer. Anyone doing that?

Thanks