Sign in to follow this  

I have some questions

I want to get a bike but it will be next year when i can get a job (during summer) I have always wanted one but i do have questions.

Are parts a lot of money?

Do they break a lot?

do you have to be rich to ride?

Cuz no way in hell im rich. I cant even get 50 bux for my B-day. Soooo

1. Depends what parts, what kind of bike, regular maintance stuff is pretty cheap, buying in bulk saves you a lot of money too (case of oil, re-useable oil filter, etc...).

2. Depens how you ride, how you fall, how you maintain you're bike, and what kind of bike.

3. No, not at all. It would be good to have all kinds of access to tools, maintance money (oil, air filter oil, oil filters, track fees, gas, etc...).

What kind of bike are you looking at? 2-Stroke or 4-Stroke? What kind of year (new or used)? What size bike? 85, 125, 250f, 250, 450f? Have you ever rode before?

Well im a big guy so im looking at 125-250 (yes i know i might fall on my ass) Im looking at honda the most. Just cuz they seem to cost the least.

2 stroke btw

2-Stroke would be cheaper for sure, especially used since the re-sale is low because everyone is switching to four-strokes now. They will require a little more engine work more often than 4-Strokes if you ride hard and race, but if you're just going to be taking it easy on the bikes for now, they will be cheaper to maintain and easier for a newbie. What size are you, if you're a big guy, you should just go with a 250 2-Stroke, that way you will have power under you're ass, and won't have to move up soon when you handle the 125 like nothing.

Yamaha's are rock solid reliable, so are Honda's. As far as 2-Strokes go pretty much all are the same because the companies pretty much mastered them and are now focusing on fours. Pick a color.

Any other questions?

Like a year ago i was 230. now im 6'2" 260 I gained A LOT of mucle from football and wrestling. Im 15% fat so i dont have a huge gut with a tripple chin. Im quite lean.

What kind of certan biikes should i look at that resale are quite cheap?

250 2-Stroke for sure for you man. The only downside to 04 and older YZ's (Yamaha's) are the 2-Strokes don't have aluminum frames, like the 05, 06, and 07 do. They are good bikes, so look at YZ250's, I know you can get a '05 Cheap, they come with aluminum frame too. CR250, KX250, SX250, RM250, etc...all good bikes. If you're set on a Honda (good bikes) you would be looking at CR250, KX= Kawasaki, SX= KTM, and RM= Suzuki.

Check eBay for average asking prices on the bike, also the classifieds on this site are good. Do you plan on buying in person (around you're house) or over the Internet? What is the price you plan on spending? If you buy next summer the prices will be even cheaper.

which do you think would be better to do? Buy over the net or in person.

My price is very cheap. Im looking at 1500 (i know) but i knoew how much all the gear cost. It cast sone good money.

Buy in person for sure. Don't bother with over the Internet crap. It might be hard but you may be able to get a older 250 smoker for 15 hundred (but then again you may wont to try and save some more). When you go to start looking make sure and find out what ever you can about the bikes history and engine.... like last rebuild and stuff. Or else you will be dumping $ into it. Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

Definitely buy in person. This way you can actually inspect the condition of the bike and ride it too. If you buy over the net, try and find someone near where you live that way you can do the same. I would NEVER pay money for something that I dont know about. When you buy a bike, heres some things to look for, all you need to do is bring a flashlight (just incase of poor lighting) and a spoke wrench or beefy screwdriver.

1.) The first thing I do when the bike is sitting in front of me, is do an overall before ride check. Check the overall appearance of the bike. Check the tire life, the brakes, look at the engine...is it clean? Check the chain tension and sprocket life aswell. Does it look like this person took care of it when you first lay eyes on it? Are there dents in the exhaust? Are the pegs in good condition? Are the bars straight? Also check to make sure the engine is cold, did they start it before you came?

2.) Take your flashlight and look all around the engine, follow the bolt paths, check every bolt on the bike...make sure they are all there particularly all the engine bolts, sprocket bolts, brake rotor bolts. If any are missing you need to ask yourself "Did this person ever check over this bike?". Are any plastics loose? Wiggle them all around the bike, make sure everything is tight.

3.) Next give the back and front wheels a good spin. Do they travel relatively straight? Are the shafts and bearings well lubricated? If they dont travel straight it could be poor spoke tightening, or worn bearings. Check the wheel bearings, wiggle the tire from side to side, any play? If there is, again...poor spoke tension or wheel bearings are bad.

4.) Next take your screwdriver or spoke wrench. We're going to check the spoke tension, this is one of the best ways to see if someone took care of a bike as far as preventative maintenence. All you do is pick a spoke where you can keep track of and come back to (I pick the one to the right of the air cap). Go around and give all the spokes a light tap. What kind of sound do they make? Do they sound like a tuned guitar or do they make a clunk sound. They should all have a relatively high pitch. Ok...so if one or two are loose its not a big deal, but its always good to check. Also...make sure all the spokes are there...its an easy thing to not notice!

5.) Check the bike for leaks, bad gaskets, is the motor dry and clean...or is it greasy? Another thing I check is the spark plug...whats he running in it? Most 250 two strokes will run an 8. BR8ES, BR8EG, BR8EIX...something like that. The number on the plug is the heat, just make sure he has the correct heat.

6.) Check the oil level and coolant level, are they topped off? If it doesnt have a sight gauge, ask him to pull the check screw out, most people will do it. Its also a good time to check to see if the oil is relatively new or not.

6.5) Check the radiators, are they bent or leaking? Are the fins damaged at all?

7.) Pull the bike off the stand and sit on it. Does it feel good to you? The bars appear straight? Is it comfortable? Do you have enough room? If you are looking for a roomy bike, yamaha and honda have by far the largest rider space. Kawi and Suz tend to be cramped for big guys. Check the suspension, press down on the seat, does it rebound good? How about the forks? Push them down about 5 times and check the seals...is there a ring of oil around the forks?

8.) Pull the choke knob out, does it snap out easy? Then feel the compression with your hand. Does the bike feel like it has good strong compression?

9.) Fire it up, take note on how many kicks it takes to start. Take your time when kicking it over. Any unusual noises? Warm it up and take it for a spin. While you are riding it dont just go blare up and down his field and call it good. Take it slow at first, I mean really...we all know two strokes have powerbands...thats not what we're checking here. Check the clutch, give her a little throttle and feather it a little bit...does it catch at the right spot? Is the clutch lever easy to pull in? Go somewhere and shift through all the gears (you dont need to go full bore, just shift through the gears and make sure that transmission works nice and smooth). Feel the brakes...are they nice and tight? Do a little weaving, does the bike feel good and responsive? Does it seem to handle well? Get it in the power a couple times, does it rev smooth? No bogging or hickups? Any pinging? Stop and rev it up a little and check the exhaust...is it smoking or not? If it is, its probably running a little rich...which is fine. If its not, and its properly jetted and not running lean...the engine should feel fast and responsive, have smooth power delivery and should not cut out at high revs.

I know this seems like a lot to check over, but all of these things contribute to buying a good bike. It sucks buying a piece of junk that we need to fix all the time. This list literally takes a maximum of 15 minutes besides riding it. If the bike passes all of these things, you've found yourself a keeper. Its best to check things yourself instead of believing what the owner says. I could have 100 hours on my 250F and tell the buyer is has less than 15...big difference. But if you know a little bit...you can tell. I hope this helps you, and I hope you can find a great reliable bike. If I've forgotten anything, feel free to add to my checklist.

on avrage how much dose it cost per year?

EDIT: thank you so much for that guide. It should help a lot. That must of took like 2 hours to type.

what about this?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/193161088.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/191545558.html

try to find something a little newer than a 1992. look for something around $1700-$1800 because u can always talk the guy down. that second bike, the ttr125L, is out of the question, i had one...it's a kids bike. u would bottom it out just looking at it. look real hard for a newer bike. im sure one will come up. u just have to be patient. if u cant get one til next yr. anyway, just wait and look in the late winter/ early spring, im sure u will find a lot more then. that is a good season to buy/sell. also, no, u dont have to be rich to ride. although if u go to the track u will see that most kids racing there are all rich and their daddies spoil them with bikes and parts; that must be nice...but dont get discouraged, once u actually buy everything and u maintain ur bike well, it really isnt that expensive.

I would not suggest the Yami on the bottom, that bike is going to be way to small and underpowered for you. The Kawi on the top is going to be a powerful bike. Do you have any riding experience at all? If not, that bike could put you on your ass and in the hospital pretty quick. It's also pretty old. Bikes get abused, and old bikes tend to be money pits. '

A good bike that's in your price range would be a 125 two-stroke. For 1500, you could probably find a 2001-2003 in great shape if you look around.

which do you think would be better to do? Buy over the net or in person.

My price is very cheap. Im looking at 1500 (i know) but i knoew how much all the gear cost. It cast sone good money.

Get a used bike off of Ebay! :thumbsup:

I would not suggest the Yami on the bottom, that bike is going to be way to small and underpowered for you. The Kawi on the top is going to be a powerful bike. Do you have any riding experience at all? If not, that bike could put you on your ass and in the hospital pretty quick. It's also pretty old. Bikes get abused, and old bikes tend to be money pits. '

A good bike that's in your price range would be a 125 two-stroke. For 1500, you could probably find a 2001-2003 in great shape if you look around.

I never been on a BIG bike. I ride this

gsrcompleteuy5.jpg

so i do have some experience with powerbands, motors, etc. Even tho its really nothing compared to a 250. Mine tops out at 45.

BTW im 6'2 260 15% fat so i am a big guy.

250 2 stroke...And dont neglect the suspension, get it dialed in for your weight...

I rode a TT-R125L when I was 11. They are tiny bikes, not even Motocross bikes, the technology in them is weak, at your weight alone it will be like riding you're GoPed. 125 2-Stroke, much different, most likely a Motocross bike, etc...

You want a 250 2-Stroke at you're weight, don't worry about never riding before, with practice and a little help you will be fine. Just don't expect to jump and stuff first time. You might also want to look at getting the suspension setup for you're weight because you're larger than the recommend stock springs, you will be bottoming out and not be riding as well as you can...Suspension can also be another $500. Try finding a bike with suspension setup for you're weight already.

I want to get a bike but it will be next year when i can get a job (during summer) I have always wanted one but i do have questions.

Are parts a lot of money?

Do they break a lot?

do you have to be rich to ride?

Cuz no way in hell im rich. I cant even get 50 bux for my B-day. Soooo

Parts it just depends on what you get. But you dont need to buy PERFORMANCE parts right out of the gate(Pipes Jets Cams etc.)

Do they break alot.... it just depends how u ride it, but then again shit does happen when your are riding

No you dont have to be rich to ride i know people who live paycheck to paycheck that ride and half of that paycheck goes into their bikes