Sign in to follow this  

Pics Kennedy Meadows 8/12/06

Finally rode Kennedy Meadows area yesterday. What a great place. We just did a day trip. Rode 70 miles of some beautiful forest. It was almost hard to ride in some areas because I was just awe struck by the lush beauty of the forest. Really a great ride.

My new to me 02 YZ 250 smoker just amazed me. We hit elevations over 9000' and the bike ran great. Started on the first kick, handled excellent, and the motor pulled well even down low. Great light weight woods machine.

Here is a link to the pics thanks Len for driving and Bryan for leading the ride.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1730459

Super pics, thanks.

I've never ridden KM either and always figured it could not be done in a single day. But obviously it can, though I'm assuming you got home very late.

Which route did you take to get there (Personville turn-off from the 14 or through Kernville?)and where did you stage?

R

Sitting flat-footed on a small, light 2-stroke. I'm jealous. My buddy and I were just up there on our tall, heavy desert machines (his 525, my DRZ400). We're both short and had one heck of a time on some of those steeeep downhill switchbacks.

That was my first time up there, though. It'll probably be an annual trip now - the place is awesome!

I was just there Wed-Fri night. That place is a blast. We did Jackass-to Albanita-to Beach trail the first day.

Then the next day we did mahogany-to Rattlesnake where it dead ends. Rattlesnake is a kickass trail. Its pretty cool that it dead ends only 2 miles from Quaking Aspens, and 9 Miles from Kernville. The guys I was riding with said that it used to be open all the way through, now its just open for horses.

My only complaint with the place is the amount of whoops everywhere, but I guess you have to deal with it.

Great images Derick........... :ride: look like some fun stuff...I see you are over 6000 images with the D-70...any issues with it... :thumbsup:

I was just there Wed-Fri night. That place is a blast. We did Jackass-to Albanita-to Beach trail the first day.

Then the next day we did mahogany-to Rattlesnake where it dead ends. Rattlesnake is a kickass trail. Its pretty cool that it dead ends only 2 miles from Quaking Aspens, and 9 Miles from Kernville. The guys I was riding with said that it used to be open all the way through, now its just open for horses.

My only complaint with the place is the amount of whoops everywhere, but I guess you have to deal with it.

What Rattlesnake trail did you ride?? You are a good 30-40 miles from Kernville at either end of Rattlesnake.

Wow, that place looks awesome! Thanks for all the pics. Now I have something to show my wife to get her to come up there with me.

By the way, was there a fire up there? By the looks of this pic, it seems there was some smoke coming off the mountain.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=17812759

Thanks again.

That looks like the controlled burn Southeast of Monache Meadows.

What Rattlesnake trail did you ride?? You are a good 30-40 miles from Kernville at either end of Rattlesnake.

From what I remember where rattlesnake ends there is a sign that gives that mileage.

Great images Derick........... :ride: look like some fun stuff...I see you are over 6000 images with the D-70...any issues with it... :thumbsup:

DUSTEE,

I take all my riding pics these days with my point and shoot Nikon 5400 durable little camera. The D-70 has almost 10000 shots on it with only issue is that the sensor needs a good cleaning got a little dust on it.

Derek/Bryan,

As always I enjoyed riding and hangin out with you guys. The weather was perfect, the scenery beautiful and some great trails up there. It made the long trip and day worthwhile, let's camp the next time and make it a two dayer. Glad we made it back in one piece, I was starting to hallucinate on the drive home, finally finished unloading about 2 A.M.

Bryan I have your sunglasses and great pictures Derek.

Great pics, :thumbsup: I have never been there but would like to plan on going within a couple weeks. I would imagine the weather is pretty cool up there this time of year.Where is a good place to get a detailed map of the area Thanks :ride:

I went up Sun after riding in the Piutes 'cause I had never been up there and wanted to see what was up. I was near Isabella so I drove up over the Sherman Pass, it took about 2-2.5 hours to get to Troy overflow.

I didn't have much time so I rode Mahogany to Rattlesnake and took a right up a little way toward Beach. Rattlesnake along the creek was fun but lots of whoops in places, something you just have to deal with. I wish someone would invent a grader to level these things!

I was surprised to find so many people up there on a Sunday - met several groups on the trail, but not a hassle as everyone was being careful and polite.

The place had a nice atmosphere and everyone seemed to be up there to have fun, not a "super competitive ride you off the trail if you are slow" kind of place, which was nice.

The place reminds me of the trails around Big Bear but not so rocky. More accessable than the Piutes except for the distance which is on paved road so it's easier for trailsers and RV's. Also the trails are well marked so it is hard to get lost, which I always seem to do in the Piutes!

I'll definitely add this one to the list.

You can get a map from the USFS or from Blackrock station near Troy meadows. The map they now have has everything on it so it is hard to read. They have a reaaly nice motorcycle trail map, but the ranger said "they didn't get any this year!" Sucks!

Someone who has a copy has probably posted it, I saw a reference to this map on an earlier post.

All the Isabella Sequoia areas are being GPS mapped under Forest Order 09-05 ( I think that's right...) so new maps will be out, but this may also be for the purpose of closing lots of trails, so stay cool up there!

From Ridgecrest to Bishop it is about 3 hours drive on 395; i'm not sure how far it is from Reno to Bishop.

:thumbsup:

Is that where Kennedy Meadows is, around Bishop?

No, the turnoff is just outside of Inyokern. The twisty windy road to KM takes another 45 minutes or so. From LA its about 3-31/2 hours north. From Reno it would be a consderable distance maybe like 61/2 to 7 hours of driving.