Sign in to follow this  

Checking clutch: what am I looking for?

Have been having trouble with the clutch. Used to be able to work thru the gears easy. Now Im clickin up to thirs (at least I think I am) but its still in second. Cant tell if its going into 3rd but slipping back into second or its just never getting into third. I generally just keep finsing myself in the wrong gear where I never had issues before.

This is an 05 R with about 46 hrs on it.

What are the likely things to need checked and is it all a visual assessment (grooves in basket, etc?).

well for the clutch its gooves in the basket, but sounds liek your problem isnt the clutch

might be a bent shifter shaft or a worn out shifting star, i had this problem on one of my other bikes and it was both of them

well for the clutch its gooves in the basket, but sounds liek your problem isnt the clutch

might be a bent shifter shaft or a worn out shifting star, i had this problem on one of my other bikes and it was both of them

Thanks Dan. Its not the shaft that I can tell - at least its not visually appearing bent. Whats the shifting star? The end of the shifting shaft that receiver the shifter? If so, it looks fine also.

I experienced this too. Inspected the clutch and changed oil and realized the knurl on my shifter was worn and I had no more grip causing me to miss. With the 52T on the back I really learned to tap dance up and down on that thing and I am going to order my 3rd tip in two seasons with the bike because the wear out so damn quick :thumbsup:

I experienced this too. Inspected the clutch and changed oil and realized the knurl on my shifter was worn and I had no more grip causing me to miss. With the 52T on the back I really learned to tap dance up and down on that thing and I am going to order my 3rd tip in two seasons with the bike because the wear out so damn quick :thumbsup:

Is that an easy DIY fix?

Sure. I invested in a Hammerhead shifter way back when and now I just orderd a new tip when it wore out. Slinger if you are interested in them I have an extra shifter from Hammerhead. I had ordered a tip and they sent me the entire thing by accident. It is used of course but I could send it to you and all you would need to do is order a fresh tip from them. If you decide you don't like it throw it out and you can drill out the rivet in your stock shifter to accept the Hammerhead tip. Let me know if you want to try it Broseph :thumbsup: