Sign in to follow this  

Setting Float height

How do I properly set my float height?

Where exactly do i measuire from and to?

XR80's between 1987-1999

model# pc20B

main jet# - normal is 95 - high altitude is 90

slow jet# is 35

initial air screw opening --- normal 1 3/4 turns - for high altitude 2 3/4 turns

needle jet cilp position from the tp is 2nd groove

float level is 21.5 mm (0.85 in)

idle speed 1,500 +/- 100 rpm

source Cymer manual xl/xr75-100 for bikes 1975-2003

I guess no one here has ever set a Float?

I can probally eyeball the given measurement and figure where to measure to and from.

My carb floods / runs fuel out the over flow tube too easily (20deg. angle) so I know the float is set high. It was bent by the PO.

Eyeballing float level is not the way to go! :ride:

Would recommend cleaning carb first in dip type cleaner! :thumbsup:

Float level is set measuring from float bowl gasket surface on main body to tip of floats with needle valve seated, but not depressing spring in needle. Tip body and rock float back against needle to just seat it and measure. Also measure both sides of float also to make sure floats are not twisted.

Old School Al

Thanks you Al!

Carb is cleaned, float was twisted. I eyeballed it, when I straightened it out 3 weeks ago and it is now set too high. Now that I have the specs and the knowledge as to where to measure, I can go back in and get it right.

I'm going for Re-setting the float (Correctly), New air filter, Adjust the valves and adjust the timing chain tensioner. +Lube the rear swing arm bushings. Should get my newly purchased 1999 XR80 back on it's feet. We are 30+ and my friend is riding a DS 80 whe we are around the house. The 4-stroke XR rides better and is better on the tight trails / hair scrambles, but the DS leaves me on the fire roads. The little XR80 is Fun Fun when the land isn't big enough for the YZ400F.