Sign in to follow this  

first kdx teardown

i began my first "teardown" of my kdx yesterday because im going to take out the engine, i think its time for new rings and hopefully not time for a whole new top end but i have a very knowledgable buddy helping me out so thats good i tried to ride the bike one day and there was a lot of knockin sounds on decelleration and the bike wouldnt idle and it always used to idle so some people told me that it might be time for some new rings is there nething i should b looking for in the piston/rings cracks in the piston or rings to small?

i began my first "teardown" of my kdx yesterday because im going to take out the engine, i think its time for new rings and hopefully not time for a whole new top end but i have a very knowledgable buddy helping me out so thats good i tried to ride the bike one day and there was a lot of knockin sounds on decelleration and the bike wouldnt idle and it always used to idle so some people told me that it might be time for some new rings is there nething i should b looking for in the piston/rings cracks in the piston or rings to small?

You do not have to remove the engine to inspect a top end. all's you need to do is remove the cylinder (on 125's and 200's you dont even need to remove the head from the cylinder, just remove it as one piece).

Stock 220's are known for the piston coming apart.The skirt usually breaks apart and bad things happen.Take it apart and do a top end and use a wiseco piston.

im taking out the engine expecting the worst because i dont hav the knowledge or the kno how to do a top end so i would need to take it to a shop five muntes away and i figured i would be charged much much less if i took the engine and not the whole bike

I would expect a cracked piston skirt if that is the stock 220 piston. If so, you need to find the rest of it (possibly in the bottom end.)

well see it still runs it just is not running good its not seized or nething like that and im definetly not riding nemore until i find out whats wrong

if you're going that far, and if it's not a financial impossibility at this time, just go ahead and replace the stock piston and be done with it.

u kno thats probably a good idea but im not sure about how much money i can use ... but, do u kno if with a wiseco piston will i get more power versus stock piston

You probably won't notice any difference, but you can feel more confident that you're not going to grenade the stock one. My stock piston (with only 200 miles)had very rough edges that were from factory, some of the edges were so bad they were the perfect place for a crack to begin and ultimately fail. When you look at the stock next to the Wiseco you can see the difference easily. The wiseco kit is between $90-125 depending where you buy it.

I am about to do the same thing to my 200. Got grounded for havin a party while the parents were out fo town so I figure now is about as good a time as its gonna be.

hey live2ride nice job on the party :thumbsup: i wish my rents would leave town for a bit soo i could party it up

hey live2ride nice job on the party :thumbsup: i wish my rents would leave town for a bit soo i could party it up

lol oh trust me I partied it up... too bad I got caught :ride::applause: