Part of the '07 Honda Bike Lineup Solved??

Hey Guys,

Just noticed it last night - for 2007, the 650L and 650R are still there, but with the usual "bold new graphics" and nothing else.

I'm not sure that it's safe to speculate that Honda will not be bringing in another thumper to the lineup, and possibly release it in January. Any thoughts?

The wife and kids are in church, and I'm ...............................................goin' ridin'............................................ ?

Ineresting, but why in the world would Honda use the xr400 platform??

When i was in Asia, the smaller cc bikes where far far more abundant than big thumpers. In fact the only bike i ever saw that was bigger than a 250-400 was a Harley owned by a guy on base. Someone at the time told me it has to do with the way the Japanese motorcycle licenses go. Something about having to start smaller and progressively get a "bigger" license so most people just get a smaller bike and keep it. I do not know for sure if that is true or not as I never looked into it further. Does anyone know if that is true?

If that is true, i would guess that the japanese manufacturers could sell abundantly more smaller cc bikes in asia than they ever could sell of the larger ones elsewhere. By that thinking, they would make a ton more money selling alot of smaller cc bikes, than a few larger cc ones.

but that is just my guess. ?

and dammit ProMed's avatar is still just to distracting!

Re the abundance of small-displacement bikes in Asia, its more an issue of economics than licensing. "Discretionary income" is the operative phrase in the developing countries. Ex: a Cisco Certified Network Engineer in India is making about US$15k a year. And that income would be considered seriously upper middle class.

But a Japanese or Euro bike is still going to cost pretty much the same in US$ in those countries (or aanywhere else). So small displ bikes are an economic reality in developing countries. So these poeple see solid value in these smaller bikes.

I've worked in India and Malasia off and on over the past several years and besides 50cc scooters you might see a 250cc Enfield Bullet maybe once every 2-3 weeks. I have a lot of respect for Indians and their ability to use these 50cc bikes (or any other resource) to the fullest potential.

In the States and Canada and most of Western Europe, bigger is better. But this is not necessarily true. Yeah, I got a bunch of large-displacement bikes, probably more than my "fair share". But that doesn't mean I am happier than an Indian dude on his 50cc Mahuti.

Anyway, your point that an XR400-based SM would be a good middle-road bike is probably an accurate observation.

Ride safe--and happy.

When i was in Asia, the smaller cc bikes where far far more abundant than big thumpers. In fact the only bike i ever saw that was bigger than a 250-400 was a Harley owned by a guy on base. Someone at the time told me it has to do with the way the Japanese motorcycle licenses go. Something about having to start smaller and progressively get a "bigger" license so most people just get a smaller bike and keep it. I do not know for sure if that is true or not as I never looked into it further. Does anyone know if that is true?

If that is true, i would guess that the japanese manufacturers could sell abundantly more smaller cc bikes in asia than they ever could sell of the larger ones elsewhere. By that thinking, they would make a ton more money selling alot of smaller cc bikes, than a few larger cc ones.

but that is just my guess. ?

It is true. In japan, there weren't any motorcycles over 500cc's available locally. I remember seeing them ( the japanise) desperately seeking KZ900's, KZ1000's, and all the F1,2,3,s ( kawasaki tripple two strokes) in the 80's and 90's as they werent available in Japan when they were made and are very collectable there, and now here of course! I think it is not only due to a tiered license program, but some sort of horsepower restrictions as the fastest legal speed limit is like 50moh or something like that. I went to Japan for TDY when in the Army, and loved it. I rented a Yamaha Serrow and it was a total blast! Thats only a little 200cc thumper enduro weird looking hybrid almost supermoto like thingy. But it was fun. And about the sales deqal, thats exactly right and the answer to the common american question of "why wont the japanise make this for us" here in the US...

good question, it isnt even shown on powersports for the US market.

Man I had no idea they were so rare or I would have asked one of the sharks about it. It was sitting right by the front door with a "DO NOT SIT" sign on it. Any members near Honda of Winston-Salem in NC can go by and check it out. The dash instruments had a white overlay on it however still looked pretty heavy, dated, and a little clunky, but overall it was pretty sweet bike. Seemed like a simple bullet-proof commuter. With as much money as they scam off poor customers they probably just had it flown in first class from Japan! ?

Man I had no idea they were so rare or I would have asked one of the sharks about it. It was sitting right by the front door with a "DO NOT SIT" sign on it. Any members near Honda of Winston-Salem in NC can go by and check it out. The dash instruments had a white overlay on it however still looked pretty heavy, dated, and a little clunky, but overall it was pretty sweet bike. Seemed like a simple bullet-proof commuter. With as much money as they scam off poor customers they probably just had it flown in first class from Japan! ?

I wish someone up my way had one at the dealer, i would love to go check one out in person. My first choice was an XR400, but i wanted more cc for road duty, so then thought about the 650R, nixed that because of plating issues in NY so i ended up with an L. I would snatch up a 400 in a hurry if they were road legal here.

I think Honda needs to make a combination of the XR650R, and the CRF450R. I see it as a 500cc or 600cc water cooled RELIABLE 4 stroke but lighter than the XR400 and at least as fast or a little faster than the XR650. It would be easy to do but the bike will be expensive, probably more so than a CRF450R. But who cares? If I could get a bike as fast as an XR650, and as reliable as an XR600R, that handles almost as well and is as light as a CRF450R, that would be king!