Sign in to follow this  

Need advise on DRZ-SM Canada

Hi, looking into getting late season deal on a Black '06 SM.

Would like to make it as light as possible for performance

and futur offroad use using another wheel set.

Would add perf. pipe, free mods, thinner base gasket, etc.

( I have no interest in big bore for this bike though, willing to do all other mods )

I have read here that it would be cheaper to mod the E or S models into an SM but would prefer going with the SM and pace my buildup slowly ( cheaply )

The inverted forks are a must as well as street legal ability. Was wondering about the following:

Travel on stock SM?

Possibility of getting near 12"?

Best mods to lighten bike?

Cost involved in better carb?

Ability to participate in the odd enduro cross race with this set-up once done?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions, YZ400's being my field of expertise. :thumbsup:

Hugh

my drzsm has about the same hp as my old 99yzf400 now that i have done all the mods.cost of the carb and intake extras you need is going to run between 500 and 1000$ can but is well worth it.and it definitely needs a lighter flywheel.if your going to do the odd enduro the suspension is just fine stock.you might have to respring for your weight.

btw-getting the bike lighter is going to cost a lot but if your used to your yzf in the tight trails then you've allready won half the battle.

Richt on Mickey! :thumbsup:

That's good to hear, so you figure stock wheel travel 11" or so? Having the suspension done is no problem at all, and yes I would remove as much un-nessassary stuff as possible, even the kick-stand.

What's your DRZ weighing in at now?

Oh, went over to look in your garage, nice!

Same set-up that I want to put together, and are the mirrors street legal? What pipe / header combo do you have?

Thanks!

Hugh

i have the yosh rs3 full ex and the mirrors i assume are legal but we aren't required to have them here.haven't weighed the bike but i think i've lost about 10 lbs off the bike