'03 Push starts only! Adjust Valves 2nd time????

I have an '03 CRF 450 with enough trail riding hours on it to burn through 1 rear tire, no odometer yet. I adjusted the valves at the beginning of this season after the bike had gotten hard to start and become prone to stalling. The vavle clearance was at .000 before the first adjustment.

After my first valve adjustment the bike started, and ran great again! However after 3 weekend rides it is now harder to start than ever. Most of the time I need a push start, which works every time.

I have read here that a vavle adjustment, once the clearance has gone to .000, usually only gives you another 5-10 hours of riding. My question is will adjusting my valves a second time give me a easy starting bike for another 5-10 hours???

I have a ride in 2 weeks that I don't want to miss. I believe I need to take the head off, replace the valves and have the head cut to solve the problem, but don't want to do that till winter.

Does anyone know of some completed head assemblys for sale at a reasonable price??

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE TT!!!

I doubt you could get shims that are thin enough to get clearance. You could take the shims youve got and use some wet or dry and try to sand them down for a one ride fix...but youve gotta get the head done...sooner rather than later. Figure you'll only get about 3-5 hours on the next adjustment if you can get any clearance at all...

Thanks for the adivce guys. I pulled it apart and checked specs. Every valve is good excpet one intake is at .000 again. I am going to order parts tonight, any recomendations on what valves to use?

Thanks again TT!

I still have a complete Ferrea valve kit I need to sell. PM me if you want it.

The '04 TRX450R intake valves are steel and are complete drop ins. Unless you are a pro racer you will have no problems with them.

Just to be on the safe side, you should get new valve springs.

I have been down the same road as you. I replaced my valves with OEM Titanium intake and they lasted a few months before I had to do it all over again.

Go steel and just ride!

The '04 TRX450R intake valves are steel and are complete drop ins. Unless you are a pro racer you will have no problems with them.

Just to be on the safe side, you should get new valve springs.

I have been down the same road as you. I replaced my valves with OEM Titanium intake and they lasted a few months before I had to do it all over again.

Go steel and just ride!

Hey there letmein - I have a 2004 450R and when the time comes, I think I will go down the route you mentioned.

Is it a complete drop in with no problems?

Which springs do I use? Which parts between the 450R and TRX450 do I use?

Any problems?

Thanks