Sign in to follow this  

need 01 ktm 400 tips

Hi everyone, I'm new here at TT cuz I just picked up a clean 01 mxc 400 and just wanted to get some info from the guys who have been riding these puppies for awhile. I've already got 3 300 ktm's (94exc,99+01mxc) so I'm already familiar with ktm except for the engine. Been changing the oil every 2 rides so far just to be on the safe side. Anything I should look out for? Thanks to everybody on this awesome site, .....Doug

I have been changing the oil in my 450 every 10-15 hours depending on how hard i ride and filters every other change. Watch chain tension, better a little loose than tight. Ktms like them loose. Had to replace the cam cover bolts in mine, not sure if the 01's had the problem. Other than that it has treated me good. Congrats on your urchase.

COngratulations, hope I don't spoil your phun but the 01s had some early model issues. Not very expensive to update before they fail but very expensive after;

In 01 KTM received a bad batch of cam bearings

00-02 they had a bolt in the cam drive that was prone to fall out, the cam sprocket for an 03 eliminates the problem

in 03 they added a shield, (costs $4) that keeps errent parts from this area from going into the engine.

All RFS engines are prone to have an occasional failure of the cam cover bolts, the two that also secure the rocker shaft.

Updating these items can save a huge nightmare later.

If you are interested in upgrades, consider the 453 kit. It really wakes up the bottom end. There has been allot of talk on the subject so if you are interested do a search for more information.