Sign in to follow this  

Bought a set of excel rims and now I need spokes do the spoke kits come with nipples?

yeah they do, they also come with a 'special' wrench. They work great I got them with my new excel rim. (make sure you keep an eye on them once you get them laced, they will loosen up a few times just tighten them up again). think a few random spokes loosened up on me about 3 times and since then they have not moved.

I still check them before each race.

thanks guys Im either going to the local shop tomorrow or look for them on ebay thanks

This is my local shop. They have great prices on them.

http://afterburnermx.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=47&id=1871

BTW- You do realize that the stock spokes and nipples will work just fine?

yeah I do, The excel spokes are suppose to be stronger and I heard they get loose after the first few rides but dont loosen after that so I perfer low maintance wheels

I actually got my rim and spoke kit from the TT store, they beat the best price I could find on the net. (plus I got the items very fast after the order, I was very happy with their service level)

is there anywhere on Ebay where I can buy the spoke kits for the front and rear rim because I cant seem to find them if anyone else cant find them I guess Ill get them from the TT store

This is my local shop. They have great prices on them.

http://afterburnermx.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=47&id=1871

BTW- You do realize that the stock spokes and nipples will work just fine?

Seriously? I used to build a lot of bicycle wheels, and spoke lengths off by only a couple of mm could cause some real problems with a build. If the Excel rims work with stock spokes, this may make my new wheel build come a lot quicker!

-JP

Yeah they are perfect in length. The Excel spokes are slightly larger in diameter, maybe tougher. But the stock Honda set up with the DID rims and such are a pretty tough wheel. Most guys switch for "color" reasons. Not many of us are talented enough to taco a stock Honda wheel.

My Black Excels with stock spokes and hubs:

as250x003xre0.jpg

Thanks! I'm also guilty as charged...I'm not worried about tacoing a wheel, I just can't live without customizing. I credit that to too many years working in the bicycle industry. You can't ride ANYTHING "off the shelf" when you work in the shop, so now that's trickled through to the rest of my hobbies.

-JP

You should never reuse spokes or nipples. The bent end of the spoke that laces through the hub gets worn down, and goes through a lot of stress. Your old spoke nipples become worn, and can crack your new rim. If you want your wheel to be strong, I suggest that you get new spokes and nipples.

Thanks! I'm also guilty as charged...I'm not worried about tacoing a wheel, I just can't live without customizing. I credit that to too many years working in the bicycle industry. You can't ride ANYTHING "off the shelf" when you work in the shop, so now that's trickled through to the rest of my hobbies.

-JP

when you built your wheels how difficult was it to true the wheels ? I am assuming not to hard cause a Mx wheel is so much more rigid than a bicycle wheel.

I build a lot of wheels too and am gonna take on a Motorcycle wheel for my new 250

when you built your wheels how difficult was it to true the wheels ? I am assuming not to hard cause a Mx wheel is so much more rigid than a bicycle wheel.

I build a lot of wheels too and am gonna take on a Motorcycle wheel for my new 250

Haven't built them yet, but I will use a Park stand to true them.

-JP