Sign in to follow this  

Where to buy Athena 280BB?

OK, well, since our wonderful search engine is always down anymore i can't seem to find where to buy this kit. Thanks for the help

-Chris

You can get it on e-bay for just over $600+shipping or @ rocky mountain mc for $650 shipping included. Thats the the cheapest I could find. I went with rm because I already have an account with them and if you spend more than 1000 per year they give you another 5% off.

You can get it on e-bay for just over $600+shipping or @ rocky mountain mc for $650 shipping included. Thats the the cheapest I could find. I went with rm because I already have an account with them and if you spend more than 1000 per year they give you another 5% off.

Did you get it installed yet?

try motosport.com Ive seen the pumped up heads there 1999.00 to 3499.00 and bb kits for the 450,s at 734.00 in their catalog so they probably have them for the 250s.

just have to call or go to web site no tax & free shipping.

i want to do something like that too. did you read the pepsi challenge this year in mx action on the 250s. most of the riders preferred the bike with the head work it never signed off,kept pulling,where their big bores did and could totally tell they were BBS.the 263 bb nice and still manageable the 307bb

comparable to a mini 450 and loses reliability. but boring cost alot less then

a modded head

motosport doesnt have it, thats the first place i checked and where i get all my parts. Im not just going to throw a BB in and be done with it; I'm going to have the head ported and possibly a valve job, too. Looks like i'll be going with Rocky Mountain...

I just finished installing it today and it isn't just a bolt on. The cylinder skirt is very tight in the cases so if you have any burrs on the cylinder or cases it wont go in. The relief for the dowels on the bottom of the cylinder in the kit are too shallow so the dowels need to be ground off 2-3mm or get shorter ones from honda. Other than that it is straight foward. I wont be able to test it till thursday, but I will let you know how it goes.

You say it's not a bolt on, but from what you wrote, you did not have to pull the entire bottom end out of the frame and split the cases to have machine work done. Please confirm....

Replacing dowel pins is no big deal, and removing a few burrs is not much of a problem, and long as the chips don't drop down into the cases.

Could the relief holes be drilled deeper to accept the existing pins?

Any Pics?

Definitely not a case splitting affair but the process with out a heads up was a pain. Had to take the cylider off a few times to make sure I wasn't just jamming it in and the dowels I didnt find until I put the head back on because eventhou I said cut a few mm off, the actual difference was less than half a mm-could not see it. It really doesn't matter if you drill it or grind the dowells , but I wouldn't want to bugger up the holes where the dowells won't fit tight. Also I de burred the actual cylinder. If you did get one of these you would see what I'm talking about. There was a slight (.002")raised area riight at the bottom of the cylinder all the way around. Hope that helps.

What are you going to be using for a jetting baseline???

Were there suggestions in the kit???

162mj

45pj

jd red needle 5th position

1 1/4 turn out on the screw

I have a hot cam stage one, big gun evo with a home made quiet insert and all the other cc mods, and power now(airbox side) I am at approx. 2000 feet 100+ degrees

Could you tell me please the bore/ piston size of this kit?? Is it an 82 or 84 mm kit.

Thanks

82 mm with a wider skirt than the stock 13.1:1 compression ratio and the bike rips. I tried it out today and other than being a little lean(needs 162mj, 5th on the needle) the thing runs out of gear quick eventhou I'm still breaking it in, and thats with a 50t rear.

looks like I'll be asking Santa for an Athena 280 kit instead of the Thumper 270!

A little grinding and fitting of the cylinder itself is no big deal. I just did not want to have to pull the entire engine and split the cases. Were you able to remove and replace the dowel pins or did you cut them while installed in the cases? Perhaps Athena should include shorter dowel pins?

I just removed them from the cyl. or the case depending on where they got stuck and used a bench grinder to take off the 2mm.

Hey chamois, where abouts in TN are you? Well it does apear that i'll be going with Athena instead of the TR270 kit. Thanks guys