Sign in to follow this  

Advice Please on Moving Up

So I've been riding my little TTR 125 for about a month or so. I understand it's more of a trail bike than an MX bike, but I've taken it to the track a couple of times (track bug bit me hard). I worked hard yesterday at the track, starting off slow at first, concentrating on body position, etc as I made my way around. About 4 hours later, I was able to get in the air with it on about half the jumps (the smaller ones) with confidence. My corners and turns improved as well both in body position and speed. I still haven't figured out the doubles though. They had a couple of small ones I worked on but stopped trying to do them since I couldn't figure them out. They right as you come out of a really sharp turn so getting up speed was a bit of an issue. Not only that, but I could tell by doing the other smaller jumps the bike doesn't feel like it's made for the doubles (although I know it can be done). Nor does it feel capable of doing any big jumps. The suspension sucks so I didn't want to push the little bike either. I don't want to destroy the bike in a newfound addiction. I love the little TTR, but I'm really getting into motocross. I don't know if there's some modifications to make the TTR more mx friendly.

My hubby recently got a KX 125. I've ridden it only once to get a feel for it. To me, it's a night and day difference between the two bikes. But a transition I feel I can make, although it may be a slow transition, as I'm a cautious rider, willing to take my time to learn.

After riding yesterday, I feel that I either need to move to a more mx oriented bike (mainly my hubby's KX) or do some mods to the TTR, if possible to continue learning more mx. Since I don't have funds to get a better in between bike, I'd much rather do some modifications to the TTR until I may can make the transition between the two easier if possible. I'm more comfortable and confident on the TTR than I am on the KX. But as I said earlier, I don't want to destroy the bike in learning mx. I'd much rather start off slowly on the KX. But I feel like I'll be close to starting all over again.

I guess my questions are: can you modify the TTR for learning mx? If I can, would I be better off continuing to learn on the TTR or should I move on to the KX?

I feel stuck and need some guidance. Any suggestions is appreciated.

I wouldn't bother putting money into a trail bike. Not to mention no matter how much money you put into a TTR it won't ever perform or keep up with any of the MX bikes. You're much better off just selling the TTR and looking into either a 125 or 250f. You'll be very happy you did :thumbsup:

Yes, one thing you should do is put a BBR Frame cradle on. Also you can put YZ80 forks on, but that can get pricey. Also BBR makes heavier springs that you could install.

It's just dumb to dump loads of cash into a bike that's always going to be slow and have bad suspension. What's your weight and height? An 85 or RM/KX 100 may be a better choice for you then a full-size bike.

don't put any money in to the ttr. is your husband planning on getting something new and giving you the kx? that sounds like a good idea.

don't put any money in to the ttr. is your husband planning on getting something new and giving you the kx? that sounds like a good idea.

Right on. I had a TT-R, been through the situations with upgrading it...it's not worth it at all. Get yourself a real MX bike.

Thanks for the advice. I pretty much knew that upgrading the TTR would be pointless, but I wanted to hear it from others who are more experienced in dirt bikes than I am. You guys just solidified my own thoughts.

I'll be learning to ride the KX. The height intimidates me somewhat, I'll admit. But I should get used to it quick. After all, my street bike is too tall for me and I ride it stock. :thumbsup: The KX is taller, but it's also much lighter (than my street bike). The difference in power shouldn't be too much of a problem to adapt to, considering my past experience going different street bikes (cruisers and sport). I know to take my time learning the power delivery, the way the bike handles in general, etc.

Wish me luck! :applause:

Any pointers on learning this bike is appreciated as well. :ride:

Well as someone said ya might think about a kx100

That are cool bikes for a shorter person and have all the power and suspension you need

Just depends on your height and weight