Sign in to follow this  

turning

For some reason I am having trouble with turning on a dirtbike. When I go to turn I get up close to the gas tank and lean back, put my foot out depending on what turn it is and then i lean the opposite way of the turn and gas it. Everytime I do this I feel like I'm going to slip out and I almost fall because the bike is leaned over and it seems like the bike wants to slip out. What am I doing wrong?

Body forward.

Leg out.

Weight outside peg.

Butt crack on the outside edge of the seat.

Keep your outside elbow up.

Dont lean into the corner, throw the bike away from you and stay as upright as possible.

First thing to try is...

1. don't lean back. lean to the side. If anything, lean forward just a little because you want the front tire to bite

2. don't try to gas it through the turn, you will either go wide or yoiu will loose the rear. Instead give it enough gas to hold your speed and momentum. Don't speed up, don't slow down. In doing this, you may have to give it slightly more gas, but just a little.

Normally I try to brake going in (engine braking is ok), hold speed during the middle of the turn, accelerate out after my front wheel is pointed where I want it.

Of course there are other ways, but this may be a good place to stasrt.

2. don't try to gas it through the turn, you will either go wide or yoiu will loose the rear. Instead give it enough gas to hold your speed and momentum. Don't speed up, don't slow down. In doing this, you may have to give it slightly more gas, but just a little.

....... hold speed during the middle of the turn, accelerate out after my front wheel is pointed where I want it.

Interestingly enough, this is exactly what they teach you in track racing in cars.. Enter faster but hold that position and don't hit the power until you hit the apex of the turn followed by unwinding the steering as you gas it. They always want 2 of the 4 tires gripping equally for maximum rubber contact.

On the bike, if you are positioned correctly as you gas it, the rear will want to drift out to the outside, but since you are are not leaning your body inside, you can tip it back up under you to "unwind" the turn. The bike drifts into you and not away from you.

If you are leaning over with the bike into the turn, you have no way to bring it back up quickly to stop the turn or slide. And any slip takes the bike away from you and leaves you hanging out in space looking for a good place to plant your face. :thumbsup:

Brake in gas out is the old race car motto.

I was having this same problem and my friend who is a way more experienced rider than myself told me to slide all the way forward on the seat and put the leg out almost near the front tire along with my elbows out. Worked pretty good.

The other thing to I learned when I first started and this seems like a no brainer but look where you are going. I have a tendency to look at the front tire or just in front of it when I am turning. I think you will find like I did if you look say 10 -20 yards in front of you, you will end up there, on a corner I look at the apex.

if you don't have a gripper seat cover, get one. it will keep your center of gravity in a better position, keep you from sliding off the back of the bike. this is in addition to what others have said.

I'll add one more thing here....check your air pressure in your tires, and the condition/wear of the tires. I always keep the pressure of both tires as low as the terrain will allow. This makes for much better bite. I ride east coast woods, and never run more than 10psi in the front and 8psi in the rear. In eight years, I've had only one flat and washed out in turns only twice. Works for me.

Make sure your suspension is set up properly and dial in the ride sag, also.

I would say putting your body weight (pushing down) on your outside peg was the single most important point for helping me convert to dirt riding from street riding.

It is amazing how much of a "science" there is behind off-road riding!!

Practice, practice, practice. :thumbsup: