Sign in to follow this  

Pulled the ACCT, but now need advice remounting...

I pulled the ACCT and I was on notch 10 out of 10, so it's time to change the chain.

But I forgot to put the engine at TDC.

I need to remount the ACCT because I need to drive to the garage, which is 10 miles away from here.

Am I risking something by simply putting it back at notch 10 and starting it?

If so, what should I do to prevent any engine damage?

Noppy

take the 12mm cap off the end of the tensioner.remove the spring.

release the ratchet pawl and retract the tensioner.

install the tensioner body on the cylinder head.reinstall the spring and cap.

Are you sure you were on the last notch? When I pulled mine to replace with the MCCT, I didn't bother pulling the cap off first and the ACCT extended to it's last notch because it still had tension on it.

How many miles/hours should a chain last? Maybe Eddie could answer that one.

If you pulled the ACCT without first removing the hex head bolt and spring, then you did not see the actual position of the tensioner rod because the spring will push it all the way out to its fully extended position. Separate the hex bolt and spring from the tensioner, release the pawl and push the tensioner rod all the way back in and then reinstall it on the bike before replacing the spring and hex bolt. Finally reinstall the spring and hex bolt. If you want to see how far your adjuster is extending under real use, you must pull the hex bolt and spring first, then the rest of the adjuster. Doing it this way will show you just how far the tensioner rod is actually extended when in use.

all depends on the riding and style of tensioner.

ive had 03 and newer drz's with less than 5k on them and chain is junk.

I forgot to tell ya that I switched to the thinner E base gasket. For how many notches would this count? Two?

And yes, I did first remove the hex nut, then the two others and slowly removed the ACCT. When I put it back on notch 10 is smoothly went in...

Under what circumstances would the 2004 ACCT put way too much pressure on the chain causing premature wear?

Who makes a good aftermarket cam chain? Would be good to know down the road when I tear mine down.