Sign in to follow this  

3rd to 4th Shifting Problems

Has anyone had any problems shifting form 3rd to 4th (under load with the clutch) in their 06's. I am also having a slight issue going from 2nd to 3rd. I have tried different oils and no luck. Could it be the basket? I am going to look at that right now. Does anyone have any experience with this and what did you do to fix it.

dude I'm having the same problem under hard acceleration from 2nd to 3rd. I just put a full hinson setup in mine and it still does it. I'm thinking the shift drum/fork is bent a little. It doesn't jump out of gear or anything, it's just notchy. Might have to bite the bullet and take mine to the dealer b/c I don't want to make a bad problem worse. Looking for answers TT :thumbsup: out there.

SLOMO,

That is the direction I am headed also. Just got done looking at the clutch and it looks like new. Some guys have had some luck with Mobile 1 MX4T and Shell Rotalla I guess. I may try that before I break the beast down. I have had a few nice bail offs, but not to the point that I think that I would have bent a fork.

SLOMO,

How does your's shift while not under a load. Mine seems to shift just fine. It is just under a heavy load and engine temperature doesn't seem to be a factor also.

Are you runnning enough oil in the tranny? 650cc, don't trust the check plug it is worthless.

experanced the same issue aswell, tried the different oils and levels, no real change. I did adjust my shifter lever and that seemed to help (actualy bent it "out" a little).

if I'm just lugging it around it shifts just fine. I use the billywho tranny bottle so I've got to be putting enough oil in it. I've used Shell Rotella T 15w40 and now I use Golden Spectro 80w tranny fluid. Still getting the same results. I don't want to keep riding it and make it a big problem, so I think my next step is the dealer.

Yes, I measure the oil out. I have tried all different amounts also from 650cc to 700 and more with not much luck

I am running around 800ml/cc, maybe that could help out?

Slomo,

I will. I will be out of town for a week, but when I get back I will give it a go and let you know.

Have either of you guys (1SLOMOFO, madday) figured anything out on this? My 06 started doing it this weekend. Both times it happened on the start where I'm running thru the gears at full throttle, with my ass on the back fender using the clutch to shift. It simply would NOT shift from third up to fourth. I've got a Barnett clutch basket, stock plates and I run Honda 80/85 trans oil so I really doubt it's the clutch or the oil. I did try adding an extra 100cc, didn't make any difference.

I have had a few nice bail offs, but not to the point that I think that I would have bent a fork.

Which forks are you talking about?

It would be one heck of a crash to bend your SHIFT forks

I have had the EXACT same problem on my 05. It will not shift from 3rd to 4th period under load even with the clutch or even if i let off totally and use the clutch or even almost come to a complete stop!

I have had a good shop replace the COMPLETE tranny twice now and i mean all gears shafts shims etc. Also replaced everything on the clutch side behind the basket. I have a complete Hinson clutch. The only thing i have not replaced is the case halves~!

I had the cases split and a Falicon stroker crank installed and other work done by Forward Motion and i suspected they may have caused the problem until i read this thread. I start from the back at every race and have to work to the front and its getting old..

Have either of you guys (1SLOMOFO, madday) figured anything out on this? My 06 started doing it this weekend. Both times it happened on the start where I'm running thru the gears at full throttle, with my ass on the back fender using the clutch to shift. It simply would NOT shift from third up to fourth. I've got a Barnett clutch basket, stock plates and I run Honda 80/85 trans oil so I really doubt it's the clutch or the oil. I did try adding an extra 100cc, didn't make any difference.

matte I drained my tranny fluid this past week and found little pieces of metal shaving in it from the shifting probs I was having. So I put an extra 100cc in it and went to the track this past weekend and damn if it didn't work. No notchy shifting or anything. :thumbsup: I'm going to do some night sx in VA this weekend and I'll let you know how the tranny turns out after that abuse test. :ride:

1SLOMOFO, I changed my tranny oil right before the races this past weekend, everything looked good then, I'm gonna change it again tonight and see what it looks like, but I'm not expecting anything. Even though I can't really afford it, I was all set to grit my teeth and pay to have the cases split and the tranny disected to see if they could find anything wrong, but RADDAD's post has me wondering if there's any point. This seems to be a recent problem with my bike (just hit 100 hours) I don't remember having this problem the last couple times at the same track, going up the same start hill (Honey Lake). Very frustrating.... :thumbsup:

i had to replace the countershaft on my 03crf450r i thought it was an impossible job but was fairly easy with a manuel. the hardest thing to do was pull the motor out of the frame. you mught have a bur in the channel of the shift drum that is causing it to hang up under acceleration the shift forks have to be able to move rather easily. i am sure you do not want to take your engine apart but it will save you money from sending it to a dealer. (they quoted me a price of $1200 labor to replace my countershaft)

a couple of questions for you?

why would you change the clutch basket?

besides performance this will not help the notchiness of the shifting

why not try the honda 80/85w transmission oil i have over 200+ hours on my bike (changing the oil every 6 rides or so) and no problems and i have seen my transmission. i would try the honda oil. hope this helps