Sign in to follow this  

Valve Clearance Question

Hi, i have a 05 yz250f and am checking the valves. The intakes all seem to be in spec. ( but on the tight side of in spec) The exhausts seem to maybe be a little on the tight side. I can slide the .06 in feeler in easy but the .07 in feeler i can not. I don't have one for in between. The tight side of the spec is .067 in (from the manual) In your opinion am I al right or should i remove some shim? I have never adjusted the valves before. Also do the valves come from the factory right in the middle of spec or just anywhere inbetween? :thumbsup: Thanks for the quick reply.

97chevy :ride:

they will never move.

now, that is a pretty bold statement, but check it again in 6 months. after you do this about 4 times (2 years) you'll see. the exhausts just don't seem to move.

if you are really worried, go buy a different color bike. they'll move!!! :thumbsup:

Hmm. I don't know. How easy does the .06 slide in? Like really easy or is there some slight resistence? I think the only way to see if it is in spec is too either get a shim .05mm higher or just get a .025mm higher CRF250 shim because CRF250 shims go in .025mm increments.

But usually the valves are set up on the tight side from the factory. But my bike was set up with tight intakes and way loose exhaust.

Thanks Steve. I was just kinda wondering. My bike was gettting kinda hard to start 2-3 kicks when it was only 1 before. But who knows the temps have changed some too so the jetting might not be as spot on as it was last week when i rejetted. Thanks.....

Abouth the buying a different color bike, i saw a thread in one of the honda formus that was titled " Most replaced item on this bike". I almost wrote down valves. Btw, checking valves will be even easier the next time i do it now that i know that i am doing. I had a little trouble gewtting the feelers in because they were too wide but the 'ol tin snips helped that problem. :thumbsup:

97chevy

The .06 goes in really easy and the . 07 kinda seems like it wants to go in but just like it is just a super little bit too big.