Sign in to follow this  

Trail Riding and Camping

So, I'm about to put my Acerbis tank on my WR and am thinking of how best to do a long weekend, self-sufficient (leaving the truck and civilization and not returning for a few days, other than stopping somewhere for more gas) trail riding/camping trip. I'd imagine there are guys out there who have camping packs they lug with 'em on their backs for this type of thing. This is just a dream at this point, but if you guys are out there, gimme some info:

Where do you go (SoCal preferably)?

What kind of pack do you use, does it work well, and if not, what would you recommend?

What do you bring?

Can you do this without being plated?

Anything else you can think of???

You can check the AMA district 37 website - there is a Mexico to Canada Ride once a year, but you have to be plated. Most places I know of you won't ride for more than a day without encountering pavement somewhere.

You could do the California Motorized Trail System look for the CTUC (california Trail User's Coalition), they post maps of this system.

My experience is that if you need to find fuel you will want to have a plate. I got stuck in the mountains behind Isabella this weekend low on fuel, and had to ride down to the town for gas, then back to the truck on HWY 178, no plate or anything!

The CHP is out there and getting caught would be a real bad ticket, but I grew up dodging the law on dirt bikes like plenty of other kids, so why stop now?