Sign in to follow this  

Think about a CRF450X, but have some questions

Hi Guys,

Right now I have a CRF250X and I'm thinking about moving up to the CRF450X for the extra power. I have some questions before I buy a new bike.

1. What issues do the CRF450X have that I have to worry about do the line (valves, trans)?

2. What changes did they do to the 06 bike from the 05 bike? I can still get a new 05 for about $500 less then a 06.

3. Are they changing anything in 07 with the CRF450X?

4. What if anything do you not like about your 450X?

Thanks for any help I can get!

Old-Man

I bought a new 05 in February and love it. It has been absolutely trouble free. I have 1400 miles on it and have yet to adjust the valves as they are within .001 of spec. Run a full quart in the tranny takes care of the dreaded seizure problem. Biggest problem is it eats rear tires... but it sure is nice to have lots of power! The changes for the 06 are very minor. Check out some of the other threads as the specifics are discussed there. By far the finest dirt bike I have ever owned.

I have had an '05 since 2.05.05, and have not had one problem.

The '06 has no changes you would notice.

Changes the '07 are an improved accelerator Pump linkage, and a plastic chain guide instead of Aluminum.

No matter what year you get you will need to re-jet the bike, because they come very lean to pass epa specs. So do Yamaha's.

I would consider nothing else unless I rode tracks only.

the only difference betwen the '05 and '07 is the amount that you will be able to sell them for in 2 years. I will 86 my '05 in a year and pic up an '07. I am gonna dual sport the '07

Hi Guys,

1. What issues do the CRF450X have that I have to worry about do the line (valves, trans)?

2. What changes did they do to the 06 bike from the 05 bike? I can still get a new 05 for about $500 less then a 06.

Old-Man

1.Not really any except changing the rear tire a lot(depends on how you ride)

2.Very Little

3.yes very very little though

4.That i cant go riding all the time.

you guys are saying the 06 has no notable changes, so did they not upgrade the valve seat material on the x like the did for the 450r in 06. becuase to me that would be worth the extra money.

you guys are saying the 06 has no notable changes, so did they not upgrade the valve seat material on the x like the did for the 450r in 06. becuase to me that would be worth the extra money.

Re: valve seat upgrade. If I remember correctly, Honda updated the 450R seats to 450X specs.

I have an '05. I got it in July of last year. It has 3500-4000 miles on it - all in the dirt, all pretty hard, and a number of desert races.

I still haven't had to adjust those pesky valves :-) No problems with that nasty tranny ;-) The only real problem I've had is the starter motor crapped out in less than two months. I'm just now getting around to replacing it. It's been a very reliable bike. Maintenance is no big issue. You gotta wash it, lube it, clean the filter, and gas it. NO revelation there. Those that complain about high maintenance really shouldn't get a high performance dirt bike. I really don't think this is a high maintenance bike, at all.

I'd say the only thing I'd like to change is the weight. I really wish it was 20-30 lbs. lighter. Sometimes I wish it had more power. But, in reality the power is probably just about perfect for the job it was designed to do. It fast enough, tractable, easy to ride, forgiving, quiet, and will get you there and back without beating you up like a lot of bikes do. When you're crawling up a gnarly, boulder strewn, 18" wide trail, that drops straight off on one side (a definite no-fall zone), you're happy to have that nice tractable power.

Hi Guys,

Right now I have a CRF250X and I'm thinking about moving up to the CRF450X for the extra power. I have some questions before I buy a new bike.

Thanks for any help I can get!

Old-Man

1. The valve will go out if you ride it a lot

2. None, its the exact same bike.......EXACT!!!!!! WEll besides the little black sticker on the frame

3. They changed the graphics but the carb didnt get changed like the "r". I know this because i almost bought one yesterday

4. i dont like the stock rims and spokes. I have to replace 4 of them tonight

If I remember correctly, Honda updated the 450R seats to 450X specs

Kent you do remember correctly, as a matter of fact the 06 250R , 250X, and 450R all got the valve seat material that the 05 450X has.

Most all 450X owners report very durable valve trains, as dependable as anything else that is a high performance 4 stroke on the market.

An interesting thing in Dirt Bike with their used bike best buys article was though Yamaha makes excellent, durable motors the cost to rebuid is often more than what the bikes are worth, a lot of that due to 5 valves, two cams, and surpisingly high parts prices.

I'm not a high school snot nose screaming "Honda Rules" or some other drivel, Yamaha makes great bikes and have for a long time, but it's a fact they cost more to rebuild and their critical parts are more expensive.

Doubters should read Dirt Riders 200 hour tear down of a 450X that was ridden HARD for 200 hours, that engine AND it's valves were in great shape,they had to adjust ONE exhaust valve in all that time. That isn't exactly valves going "out" if you ride it a lot, though all valves in high revving 4 strokes will eventually need attention.

A lot of it is the owners attention to detail and maintenance schedule,too. Doug

An interesting thing in Dirt Bike with their used bike best buys article was though Yamaha makes excellent, durable motors the cost to rebuid is often more than what the bikes are worth, a lot of that due to 5 valves, two cams, and surpisingly high parts prices.
So they're critizing a design for being durable?

To be fair to the Yamaha...the bike isn't worth much in most cases because the rebuild is for a an old 98-99 WR400 or such that is STILL being ridden and just now requiring a rebuild. Yes, a 2004 _______________ already requiring that same rebuild is probably worth more...go figure!

The '05 X came with the updated valve material, which came stock on the following year of the R model.

They have changed the throttle cable for the better. Hard for dirt to get in!

They have changed the acclerator pump and linkage to hopefully fix the lugging issues.

They have lightened the rear chain guide.

I believe they have fixed the tranny so the chamber that wasn't getting oil

after starting is now getting oil quickly. I would still put a Recluze clutch case

allowing for more tranny oil and made of billet aluminum instead of soft magnesium that crunches easily. Use a full quart 946 ml of Motul blend and

ride like the wind!

They have most likely changed things they won't admit because of problems

with the 05 and 06 which are indentical. The valve problem is simple get better valve springs! Kawasaki put dual valve springs on their 07. They found the real solution, nothing is black magic!

I'd get the 07 CRF450X. You don't need the problems that might happen with the 05 or 06. Better yet get the KTM 525---Best dirt bike I have ever ridden. I've been riding since 1973 TM 400 Suzuki Cyclone. Now 62 and still whacking the sh_t out of the California terrain. Old Man come ride with a dinosaur!

If you not leading the scenery is dust!