Sign in to follow this  

wandering front end

I am just getting to the point where I am really noticing my suspension settings. At first the X seemed very stiff specially on little rocks. I softened via compression and tension clickers. Now it feels great on landings and medium to large obstacles. The main problem now is the front end seems to wander... very unsettling. Also I seem to get tossed around more while going through rock fields with the new clicker settings. I am going to take another look at my sag settings. Any other suggestions??

The X comes with suspension settings that are for one weight of rider. Are you 178 lbs? If not (like me) you need to re-spring the bike so the shocks are working correctly in the stroke. The "sag" must be correct if you want the bike to feel right. If you go up more than one size (like me) you will HAVE TO change the damping of the front and rear shocks, because they will be out of the range of operation with the stiffer springs. This is called a "re-valve". Springs and a re-valve are around $ 560.00. It was worth much more than that to me. That solved 90% of the wallowing, understeer, fully feel in sand, an rock deflection issues.

The rest were solved by changing the front tire (do this first before you break a bone), moving the forks up in the clamps 5mm (or going to a 120/110 Dunlp 739f, which is taller), and getting the ergos correct so I was comfortable in any riding position, especially standing.

Have fun!

Also drop your triple clamps down your forks 3mm. Check your sag again after you drop them . You will notice a difference with just the 3mm. I went 5mm but ride east coast. If you don't ride in the open to much try the 5mm. They also say to add 3cc of fork oil to each fork. Scott's never hurt but is not a fix for bad suspension settings.

I'm 180 lbs fully geared (I added 3 lbs for the 3 beers and water that I carry, so by the end of the ride I should be 177 lbs). I've tried several tires and so far like the M12 on the front the best but am still experimenting. My riding conditions go from rock piles to sand and every thing in between (in the course of one trail ride). The scotts is on my list, but I'd like to get my suspension dialed as much as possible before I complicate things further. Sounds like maybe I do need to change out the springs. I only weigh 155lbs with out gear, didn't realize I carried 25lbs of gear until I checked today! One more question, can someone describe what too much and too little sag feels like? Okay two more... If I need to re-spring, I will probably end up sending my forks & shock in. I'm located in Reno. Any local shops recomended or should I just stick with Factory Connection or one of the other top names?

Send them to Prescion Concepts i liked what they did to my bike i got i tuned for my weight and resprung and everything.

can someone describe what too much and too little sag feels like?

Sag is a measurement not really a feeling. The result is a feeling of the suspension being in the right part of the stroke for the shock so the valving works properly.

If you are 180 with gear your bike should be valved pretty close for "most" riders.

I set my race sag and then still had to adj the compression up a few for my own tastes and riding style.