Honda CR125 Or CRF250?

Ok, I'm going to be buying a new bike within a year and can't decide which bike to get. Either a 2-stroke CR125 or a 4-stroke CRF250. I'm 15 years old and about 5'8 feet tall, 135 lbs. Both bikes are 37 and 38 seat height, so height doesn't matter in this case.

I know 2-stroke bikes weigh less, but are they really easier to maintain? My main concern is how many decibels (dB) do these bikes reach with stock pipes.

I ride mostly through and around my neighborhood. My dad thinks 2-strokes are way too loud to be going down the street with a loud, annoying bike. I ride my CRF150 with a BBR pipe and I think its 96 dB. I want a bike thats very similar in sound.

Last question, which is an overall faster bike on a straight away?

?

A 2 stroke has fewer moving parts than a four stroke. You also don't have to worry about cam timing and valve adjustment (except power valve). Dirt Bike magazine did a great comparison of the cost to race the CR 125 and CRF 250 over a year. I think it might have been the June issue. As for noise, they both make about the same dB level (100 - 102 dB) with fresh packing in the muffler. To drop the noise level, you have to go to an aftermarket quiet exhaust. Look on the web for inforamtion on those mufflers.

"Less sound=more ground"

The 250f is louder, and you can hear it from further away...it just seems like the 125 is louder because of the way it sounds i guess. I think the 250f would could beat a 125 on a straight away....but the 125 would get off the line faster. Even though the 250f is a little heavier, it is overall a better/faster bike. If you're looking for low cheap maintenance though, then just get a 125.

about the sound thing. just say for example you have a 2 stroke that is 96 dB and a 4 stroke that is 96 dB side by side. the four stroke, even though it is the same dB rating, will be louder at a distance because of the lower frequency. lower frequency travels farther and is easier to hear. not to mention a stock cr125 will actually be less decibels than a stock crf250.

in your case, I'd go for the 2 stroke. you can get them way cheaper right off the showroom floor, and when you have to sell it for something bigger, it won't leave as big of a hole in your wallet.

The 250f is louder, and you can hear it from further away...it just seems like the 125 is louder because of the way it sounds i guess. I think the 250f would could beat a 125 on a straight away....but the 125 would get off the line faster. Even though the 250f is a little heavier, it is overall a better/faster bike. If you're looking for low cheap maintenance though, then just get a 125.

zzzzzzz. the 250f is faster is every way.. it gets of the line quicker than the 125. it is only about 3 or 4 kg heavier. If you want to get into motocross and be competitive then get the crf, if not just stick with a 125.. if your gona get a 125 dont get a CR get a YZ or SX.

Four strokes sound carries, unlike 2-Stroke.

The CRF250 by far!

What makes a CRF250 so much better than a CR125? Both bikes are in the same class, so why would of them be better? Am I wrong or does the CRF250's actually have an advantage when it comes to racing the 125 class?

?

You just have to ride both, you will notice inmediately the 4-stroke is easier to ride and go fast. The 2-strokes need much more skill with the throttle, clutch and gear selection, which is exactly what makes them so fun to ride.

Anyway, Don't look any further than KTM or Yamaha if what you want is a 125.

What makes a CRF250 so much better than a CR125? Both bikes are in the same class, so why would of them be better? Am I wrong or does the CRF250's actually have an advantage when it comes to racing the 125 class?

?

Has about 39 Hp stock as a 125 only has about 34hp. But Hp isn't everything. The 250f in the 125 class is like a mod 125 riding in a stock 85 class.

Has about 39 Hp stock as a 125 only has about 34hp.

What's the top speed of these bikes miles per hour (MPH)? I mainly want the faster bike, but I don't want to have a hard time with maintaince. If your correct about the 5 horse power difference, it shouldn't be a big deal and I could go along with the CR125.

I want the faster bike because me and my friends race on straight aways and things like that. I don't want to be beat by a CRF230 or a TTR230... I'm looking for the bike that can keep up or is faster than a KX250F.

Crf250r's make around 35 horsepower stock. Go to a motocross race some time. Watch the 125 beginner class. Unless you are a very skilled two stroke rider, you wont be able to keep up with a Kxf250. Unless the Kawi rider slow. Get the Crf.