Sign in to follow this  

KX65 or KLX110

My son is currently on a KTM pro 50. He is now seven years old and we are looking to move up to something bigger and with less maintenance. We go to the track quite a bit (he is not currently racing) any issues with the 110 on the track or with trail riding on the 65? The boy wants the 65 but I am on the fence...

Al

My son started on a PW50, then my pops bought him the KLX110. He rode the 110 for about 8 months and I could tell he wanted more. I sold the KLX110 (BIG MISTAKE) and bought him a KX60. He rode the 60 and still rides it but in the past 1 1/2 year of riding it the bike has had a complete rotating assembly put in and thats about it. I should have kept the 110 and put the money into it for the 4 speed shift drum, bore kit and clutch. But if I knew then what I know now is kicking me. :thumbsup: The 110 rarely needed any maintence and the 60 is always needing maintence to prevent another burn up. My suggestion is get the KLX110 and as he needs more the aftermarket is plentiful with power adders. Plus the way kids grow these days he will need a bigger bike in a few years and 2smokes could be banned by then. At least with the 4smoke you can fill it at the pump.

He, maintenance, I know what you mean...

When he's a racer type, choose a KX65. My son is 9 and rides a 2000 KX, wich is smaller than newer models. On newer models the fork and swingarm are longer for larger kids. The 2000 (and 2001?) has a green frame.

One question should be the weight of the bike. Some are too heavy for kids (if he wants to do some trail).

I will buy a SX 65 at the end of season, they are more comfortable to ride. You can do better setup at the suspension. The seat is higher. I'm not a KTM fan, I worked many hours and spent much money on that SX 50's, but the SX 65 are good bikes. 70% here rides them.

kx65-2000.jpg

Thanks for the responses. There in lies the problem...the 50 is just way too much maintenance, I am spending another $180 this week for a stator, chain and clutch washers. Seems that all week is spent tearing it down and rebuilding the whole bike for an hour of riding. What I don't want to do is buy a bike, he rides it six months then have to buy something else cause he is going faster...

Al

The KLX110 is little to no maintence, just fill it and ride.

i bought both for my son, the klx 1st then stepped up to the 65, i hear ya about the 50 maintenence program, i probably moved my son up prematurely (6 yrs.old) but i had enough of the pro sr. blues, the klx was new when i bought it, the kx is an '01, so i kept both :thumbsup:

We have both a 110 and the 65, and my son races both. I feel much better when he rides the KX, just because I think it is much safer. The KLX is an ill-handling little turd with bad brakes, bad suspension, and it weighs a ton. The only reason we keep it is that my son is very competative in that class, but I am always scared that he is going to get hurt on that thing! The KX 65, in my opinion, has to be one of the all time great values in motorcycling. My son hammers the hell out of it, and we clean the air filter and tighten the chain, and then he beats it more. Then we wash it and take it to the track on Sunday. It nevers breaks! And it really requires no more maintenance than the 110, except that the air filter needs cleaning more often. But you can even greatly cut down on that by using filter skins. I don't think you can go wrong with the KX.

Thanks again...I am pretty much sold on the KX at this point. The Honda 70 he rode was nice but as you said about the KLX it was HEAVY! The KX will be a little much right now, but the suspension is better and he can ride it for many years. I will just be glad to get away from the KTM 50.

We just skipped the 2 stroke 50s. I've seen those little KTMs make sane men go crazy. I should also say that we briefly had a KTM 65, but it would break every time my son rode it, and the parts were very expensive. Life has been much better with the KX. I don't know how big your son is, but you may be interested in the Moose racing easy-pull clutch system (about $35 from Dennis Kirk). It does make the clutch easier to pull, and that may help a rider new to the whole clutch thing. My son is getting more advanced (like slipping the clutch on corner exits), and it helps a lot.