2 and 4 stroke throttles

i belive they were born out of lawsuits from yesteryear, when throttles only had a pull cable.

with a single pull cable you are out of luck if the slide sticks in the carb. but with a dual push pull cable you can force the slide back down if it sticks. large bore four strokes have much higher engine vacuum than 2 strokes, so i think that is why you see them (if it gets out of alignment).

Ah yes that would make sense about the vacuum. Hmm. Probably fine then with 1 cable 99.9% of the time

yes with high quality of manufacturing these days, i'd say you're changes are much better than 99.99%. However that remaing .00001% is definately a life changing event. For instance, this guy. Notice the title? Worse dirt bike crash ever. A full discussion about this video is here: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341486&highlight=stuck+throttle

I also thought that they had to be on there also. Until I had a race a couple of weeks back and my throttle stuck wide open off the face of a big flat landing table top while I was in the lead. :ride: It scared the crap out of me. It happened twice during that moto and I had to whiskey throttle it to the finish and I ended up 3rd (and it ultimately cost me the championship too ? ) because one of the guys that beat me ended up edging me by those couple of points I needed. Anyway, a couple of the good experts I know told me to remove the return cable. I thought they were crazy and wasn't that dangerous I asked? They said no more dangerous than what just happened to you. They said the vaccuum wouldn't effect it and what happened to me was that the return cable was a little loose (and it doesn't take much) and when it is loose it can actually unhook inside the throttle housing and bind and you will have to physically and forcefully close it which I had too! So it is a pick your poison type of deal I guess. So I removed it per their instructions and it has worked great since and it snaps back like a 2stroke now and hasn't been a problem.They said that is one of the first things they now do when they get a new bike and have been doing it for a couple of years now.The one that I know has been racing a long time said he got the idea from seeing Scott Summers show up at a harescramble on his XR600 back in the day and ALWAYS only had 1 cable and removed the return. So I don't know, it works for them and me so far. And in either case you will have to be quick enough to pull the clutch and save it if it happens either way I guess. But the snap back from the cable being removed is great. Better than when it was new I think.

you can adjust the slack in both the pulling and return cable.

Uhh.really? No kidding. Sorry for the sarcasm but how do ya do it in the middle of a moto?And then it slackens up on you?You can't and that isn't something you can nessessarily feel like a clutch that needs adjustment.And I don't think most think to adjust those cables regularly either. See my point?

Uhh.really? No kidding. Sorry for the sarcasm but how do ya do it in the middle of a moto?And then it slackens up on you?You can't and that isn't something you can nessessarily feel like a clutch that needs adjustment.And I don't think most think to adjust those cables regularly either. See my point?

how the hell does your throttle cable become loose if you've properly adjusted it? throttle cables don't stretch.