Sign in to follow this  

05 F150 2WD towing and dump tip

Is 8000lb loaded going to be too much for an 05 F150? Its a loaded 06 Vortex 21ft hauler. Loaded we should be like 1300 under the trucks rating but Im cautious... Ill put headers/exhaust and a chip in the truck. I can go with a smaller trailer but the deal on this Vortex is great.

TIP: Drop a bag of cube ice down the toilet before heading home from a trip to slosh around and help clean the inside of the tank. May be common knowledge but Ive never heard it before, and anything to make the black tank dumping easier is worth repeating.

What is the towing rating of the truck. my 97 f150 can take a trailer and a jeep on it fine just u notice the thing is back there because of the weight but it definatly ran fine for 9 hrs of driving. You will feel the trailer back there becaue of how light the truck is but most trucks can handle towing anything.

It will do it, but I'm not sure how happy you will be doing it.

The 05's with the right factory tow package have a pretty high tow rating, but remember that max rating is with an empty truck, just the driver(who only weighs 150 lbs) and 1/2 a tank of gas...for every pound of cargo(fuel, passengers, bikes, etc...) that you add to that, you need to subtract the same amount from your max tow rating.

Now even when you do that, the total tow rating is going to really tax your truck, so many will try and run about no more then 80% of that rating...

One last note: if you go by the trailers listed empty weight, you are in for a suprise because the listed empty weight doesn't include any options(a/c, propane tanks, the propane in the tanks, batteries, water, etc...) so you might want to add about another 500 lbs to the empty weight.

Bottom line you will feel it back there, and if you're not in a hurry you might be all right...

I have an 06' Screw 6.5-ft bed 4x4 and tow a 24-ft Wanderer Wagon (same as Tahoe/Vprtex) 247 WTB. I slow to 30mph on the steepest grade, but other than that, it does well. Kept up with a Dodge w/ Hemi and 19-ft reg. TT.

I just saw your post on rv.net.

Like i said I have the 247WTB and the sticker on the door reads 5600lbs empty (what's yours say?), and i know it's heavier, but the F150 does pretty well considering.

Im going to go "test drive/tow" a 22ft Stellar this afternoon. Vacation Station in Corona said "no problem, hook it up and make sure it works for you." NICE GUYS!

This Stellar 22 says 6200 on the door, rated at 10,000lbs (dual 5000lb axels). Ill be around 8000 loaded (estimated...). Im gonna pull it down the 91 and over the toll road and back, full of water. The one Im pulling now (which is for sale!) is about 6000 loaded and I can do 65 up the grade on the 101 coming east from Ventura. Ill know how it does in a few hours.

How bad is the mileage withe the 24 footer? We want to take it on a trip to Montana next Summer, I know there are some SERIOUS grades in that state, Ill try to avoid the bad ones.

Is 8000lb loaded going to be too much for an 05 F150? Its a loaded 06 Vortex 21ft hauler. Loaded we should be like 1300 under the trucks rating but Im cautious... Ill put headers/exhaust and a chip in the truck. I can go with a smaller trailer but the deal on this Vortex is great.

That is a lot of weight for that truck set up. If your doing those engine mods you should invest in an engine brake or some other secondary braking system. I don't know sh*t about RV's, I guess that RV has brakes on it????????????

Havn't calculated the towing mileage. The way I see it if the difference between 7 and 10 is going to make you stay home maybe you shouldn't be going anyway. I figure around 8 mpg towing. That's all I got with the 7.3L PSD Excursion.

I towed the same Hauler with an 2003 Expedition (260 HP) before the Excursion and it got 7mpg. It didn't go much slower up the same grades, but the wheel base was definately too short. The F150 is much smoother than the expedtion and doesn;t squat any more than the Excursion did.

As long as you are not over the ratings, drive it everywhere and anywhere. Buy the extended bumer to bumper warranty and don't fret driving it into the ground. Trade it in on a new one when the warranty runs out.

Lovin It,

D