Sign in to follow this  

hatfield mccoy

i was wonderin how would you guys compare hatfield mccoy to the wayne national forest in difficulty

Is the Wayne National Forest the trails and Hanging Rock? If so, I've heard the trails there are in pretty bad shape. The only Hatfield McCoy trails I've seen are the ones at the Waterways Trailhead. They are in my opinion in pretty good shape. I think the people who work for the trail system do a lot of up keep on the trails.

The Hatfield McCoy trails can range from easy to really difficult just depending on what you want. I have been on some wild trails at the HM.

The Hatfield McCoy trails can range from easy to really difficult just depending on what you want. I have been on some wild trails at the HM.

I agree. It can range from 12' wide dirt roads to huge 1/4- 1/2 mile long hill climbs that are hard for anyone but A-B riders on the "black" trails. :thumbsup:

Its been a few years since I've been to Wayne N. F. But I never considered the trails much harder than the Allegheny N. F. in PA.

Knowing the WV terrain I've got to believe the HF trails are more difficult.

Been many times I have turned around on black trails cause there was no way possible to make it at HM. I'm planning make a trip there very soon.

I am heading to HM sept 14-16 for the first time. My KTM does not have a spark arrestor. Is this going to pose a problem for me? I've only got a 2 gallon tank, Are fuel stops going to be too far apart for me? Also have any of you guys found a decent cheap place to stay or camp? So should a bigger tank and spark arrestor be on my shopping list? Whats the best route to getting a spark arrestor? Don't they make a bolt on tip?? thanks guys

i did the HM trails a few weeks ago.. it was awsome.. trails are in good shape (rocky) i did MOSTLY black trails.. and there was crazy sh*t .. and the single track was so much fun.. a good ride!

I am heading to HM sept 14-16 for the first time. My KTM does not have a spark arrestor. Is this going to pose a problem for me? I've only got a 2 gallon tank, Are fuel stops going to be too far apart for me? Also have any of you guys found a decent cheap place to stay or camp? So should a bigger tank and spark arrestor be on my shopping list? Whats the best route to getting a spark arrestor? Don't they make a bolt on tip?? thanks guys

I was there a few weeks ago. Saw rangers and many bikes but no one checked for spark arrestors. Gas stops can be far between, but I have a 2.4 gal tank on my husky and never had any issues. You can typically ride a trail from one town to another, or back to the same town in 30 to 40 miles. Best campground and cabins are at www.twinhollowcampground.com and it's right on the rock house trail.

I'd recommend a GPS before anything else. But not one mounted to the bike as it could vibrate off. We got turned around and had to go 30 miles out of the way, on pavement. Sucked being on pavement knowing I could have been on dirt. But was kind of cool to see a bunch of dirt bikes on pavement.

Been to H-M many times. GPS is not needed. The maps provided give excellent detail and all trail intersections are marked with trail numbers and difficulty rating. If you get lost, you must be trying.

The Rockhouse trail Head is the most popular and fun in my opinion. Difficulty ranges from easy roads, to almost impossible single track. Be prepared for very rocky hill climbs and lots of them.

I don't have personal expereince riding at Wayne, but I have driven through the area several times. My gut tells me that H-M will be more difficult, because the mountains are significantly bigger. Wayne is more rolling hills compared to H-M.

You will have the time of your life!!!!

the dingess rum trail is awsome.the trails are laid out pretty even,as far as good to worse %.the devil anse campground is right at the trailhead,showers ,restrooms,real nice. 15$ a night no hookups.he has hookups for anything rv etc.the coal river trails are sort of easy,. have fun!!!!!

oh yeah, they never check the bikes,the rangers are pretty cool,i have never had any problems.later

I've been there twice.....I didn't see anybody checked for spark arrestors.....BUT, their website states that they require one. I made do with my standard 1.8 gallon fuel tank, on a Yamaha YZ 450f, but it is nicer to have more fuel capacity, if you want to spend the Dough for a larger tank.

Been to H-M many times. GPS is not needed. The maps provided give excellent detail and all trail intersections are marked with trail numbers and difficulty rating. If you get lost, you must be trying.

Ever been on trail 23 at Pinnacle Creek? I'd agree with you for the majority of the trails, but I was in the same group as arod2000 that day. We came to a spot where the trail split, and there were absolutely no markings. We rode down each direction a litte ways looking for markings, and finally decided to go left. The trail to the left continued for a couple miles, crossed a creek a couple times, and ended up on coal mining roads. Some locals told us to keep going down the road we were on and it would take us to the trailhead. We followed their instructions and the road turned to pavement and then came out to Route 52 :thumbsup: . With a GPS we could have at least followed our path back to the trail split, after turning around at Route 52.....but we didn't have one. One guy recognized the intersection and said we could turn right and go North on 52 and it would take us to the trailhead, so we did that. We rode 26 miles all on wet pavement, half in the rain, stopped for gas, and came back to the trailhead.

I would say it would take about 3.5 - 4 hours from Lexington to get to the Waterways trailhead. The trails there are supposed to be the easiest of the Hatfield McCoy trail system. These are the only ones I have ridden on so I don't know how much longer it would take for you to reach any of the other trails. For directions you could visit their web site at www.trailsheaven.com.

Hey Justin24, I might be interested in going that weekend. Where are you located in Ohio? Anyone else coming with you? I might be able to round up a couple of people to go.