Sign in to follow this  

2 questions

depends on what the bike is jetted for and how its ridden, and yeah u should be good with the filter but maybe someone who has a 500 can answer that better than i can.

whats the gas to lube ratio used in CR500's?

can i clean the stock air filter with K&N filter cleaning and lube it with K&N filter luber?

Mix...Dunno. :ride:

K&N Cleaning kit....I use it all the time on my foam filter. :thumbsup:

The standard oil mix ratio is 32:1 but you should use what the oil manufacturer recommends. They have done all they testing & know how fast the oil migrates. The 500 doesn't spend much time at high rpm so leaner ratios shouldn't cause any problems.

The k&n oil will work ok but it is designed for gauze filters, you may find it running out the bottom of you airbox. It's best to use an oil designed for foam filters. The material foam filters are made of does not absorb the oil, the oil has to stick to it. The gauze filters absorb the oil into the fibers.

The standard oil mix ratio is 32:1 but you should use what the oil manufacturer recommends.

The k&n oil will work ok but it is designed for gauze filters, you may find it running out the bottom of you airbox. It's best to use an oil designed for foam filters.

Bottom line, run 32:1, are you smokin all the way down the trail? Fouling plugs? NO! then 32:1 is good! Better to run rich than to lean. If you are smoking, then #1 run hotter plug, didn't work?, 2 Jetting, didn't work? 3 leaner MIX RATIO, would not run lean on stock parts though.

Filter oil? Who cares what it was designed for? What do you think we use to use before the so called designed oil was around? Regular motor oil. The purpose of oil on the filter is to attract dirt and hold it to the outer surface so it doesn't enter your cylinder. Which the K&N seems to be doing for me. Also I have used some of the so called designed for foam, and it actually makes my bike run richer, because it is not letting enough air to the carb....

To each his own :thumbsup: