Sign in to follow this  

Chevy 1500 PickUp Grill/Headlights

I have a question. The plastic outer part of the headlight has become so dull it completly limits the amount of light that gets put down. Is that a piece that is easly replaceable? I went to autozone and the person working the counter couldn't find anything on that part. It apprears the actual lamp is two pieces (high/low) and they go inside and the part exposed is just a cover of some sorts.

Am I correct or a dummy? Maybe there is a way to buff them clear again. Anyone done that?

Thanks

you need to either totally replace the lamp, their not too badly priced, you can find them on ebay, or if you look at flitz ya know the commercial "flitz it!" they make something that will take the oxidization? or im sure autozone even has something in thier car care section.

use some mothers polish first. See if that works. Any kind of gentle metal polish.

if that does not work, get some 1000 grit sand paper, then polish it out. If you use power tools be very careful that you do not BURN the plastic.

You can usualy find tons of repro lights on Ebay.

Thanks guys. I was poking around and found a site that sells the entire replacement light for basicly 50 bucks. It looks like I have to take the front grill off to change them out. Fortunatly it is only like 5 or 6 bolts to get it off.

Thanks again!!!

what year is it? if its 99-02 there should be these things that look like alan wrenches, you just turn them out of their little hold in place plastic thingie and pull them up and out(2 of them per light) and the light just almost falls out, atleast my 02 gmc does, no grill removal, now if its older than 99 im not sure

You don't have to take the grill out on any GM pickup to get the light assembly out. On the older ones there are 2, 5.5 millimeter head rods that go straight down from the top of your rad support. They look like adjusters but they are not. Just take them out and the light will fall out.

The 99's and up have rods that twist out from under locking tabs. Remove the 2 rods per light and the assembly will come out as astrnaughtwanabe mentioned.