Need Help

I need some help in trying to get my bike started.

I am not much of a motorcycle guy I have grown up around cars and NHRA Drag Racing. But anyway my gf's uncle gave me his old bike. It is a 1981 Honda XL 185 S.

He said that nothing broke on the bike and it just sat. I did the usual maintaince. I changed oil, spark plug, took the carb off and cleaned it completely. I checked all the wiring and everything seems to be working.

I also checked if I was getting spark and after shocking my right arm for awhile I ruled out that possibility.

My suspicion is that the timing may be off. When I use starting fluid through the air intake it backfires and I have already started a few fires. The engine turns over very smooth and it almost starts but just can't get it. I have to let my foot heal after kicking it so many times.

How can I adjust/check the timing? If anyone has any ideas or tips about any part it would be of great help. Thanks!

Tony

At this point there are no stupid ?'s.

I did drain the old gas and put fresh gas in I checked to make sure fuel is flowing smooth through the petcock.

There was no air filter so I haven't put one in yet till I get it started and I have tried it with the choke on and off.

Like I said it gets close just not close enough

Thanks for the input though it all helps.

Check the points... I bet thats what holding you up right now.

this a good place to start check the gap and check the timing you also might want to check your valve adjustment and if it has been sitting along time check for any corroded connections that might be inhibiting spark

i've got some info for you .there are 2 plugs on the left side cover 1 big 1 small and they'll probably be a bear to get out .remove the spark plug .remove both and then remove the points cover on the left side of the head put a socket in the one hole to turn the engine look thru the small hole and turn the engine until you see the "f"mark line up with the index mark in the small hole and as the fire mark lines up the points should just brake contact you can use a multimeter set to read continuity for that or even a piece of real thin cylophane between the contacts to tell when they break this should get you real close static timing it this way good luck with it.

• 4 years later...

i just got a 1981 xl 185 s and i had to put a new battery in it to get the CDI to work right. all i had to do was spark plug, clean the gas tank, carb, and battery the one that i got wasn't started for like 3 years. i just got a new carb off ebay for like 40 buck and now it runs like a champ