Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke matienence

ive heard 2 strokes are more matienece than 4 strokes so thats why i bought one but is there really that much maitence because i am starting to ride mainly trails so i thinking of buying a 2 stroke but i want to know what kinda maitence there is for them

Actually there is less maintainence. No valves to worry about.

Yep, just top end jobs...Most of the time if you take care of you're 4-Stroke you never have to touch the valves. At least with a Yamaha... :thumbsup:

This is how two-strokes and four-strokes compare in my opinion. Hopefully this will help you to make an informed decision.

Two-stroke pros:

Snappy, quick and free-revving, instant power.

*Lighter than a four-stroke.

*Far fewer moving parts makes them easier to design and cheaper to manufacture, as well as eisier to work on.

*Engine mods for more hp are cheap and easy.

*Produces approximately 60% more power than a four-stroke of equal displacement in an equivalent state of tune.

*Less prone to low-rpm flame-outs.

* Easy to start when you do stall them.

*Parts and accessories are generally cheaper.

*Maintainance for a serious racer can be much cheaper for a full season of racing.

*Sound output, while at similar decible levels to four-strokes, doesn't carry as far. This is a significant issue in some places.

Two-stroke cons:

*Requires pre-mix oil in fuel.

*Jetting can be very finicky on some models.

*Even stock engines can be prone to engine-killing detonation. Any serious full-race engine mods will require race fuel for the engine to survive.

*Some will say that top-end rebuilds are more frequent, but for a pro racer, I would argue that point. In the hands of a "I can ride a 450 like a 125" pro racer, four-stroke top-ends wear out just as fast as two-strokes. And casually ridden two-strokes can last just as long as casually ridden four-strokes. Just ask any KDX rider.

*Some parts of the country do not allow year-round use of two-strokes on public land.

*Except for Yamaha and KTM, two-stroke development is all but dead.

*Current AMA Racing rules give two-strokes a huge displacement disadvantage.

Four-stroke pros:

*Smooth, easy to use power, much longer spread of power than a two-stroke.

*Better low-end torque.

*The "every-other-revolution" firing order of a four-stroke helps maintain traction in less-than-ideal conditions.

*Jetting tends to be less critical.

*Can run much higher compression than two-strokes before detonation becomes a problem. Even heavily modified engines can often still be run on pump fuel. This can be significant for the racer that's on a tight budget.

*Current AMA Racing rules allow four-strokes an extreme displacement advantage.

Four-stroke cons:

*Some bikes can be prone to sudden flame-outs at low speeds.

* In most cases, harder to start after you do stall it.

* Heavier than two-strokes, with a higher center of gravity.

*Many more moving parts than a two-stroke. This makes them more expensive to design, manufacture, repair, and rebuild.

*Parts and accessories are more expensive.

*Don't kid yourself. Four-stroke engines, when raced, wear out as fast as two-strokes.

*The complexity of the engines makes many riders afraid to attempt things like rebuilds.

*Sound output carries farther than a two-stroke at similar decible levels. This is becoming a serious issue.

Two-stroke cons:

*Sound output, while at similar decible levels to four-strokes, doesn't carry as far. This is a significant issue in some places.

[/b]

That's a con?

Pros are the good things.

Cons are the bad things.

It's helpful to know what's good and bad of each style to help with your buying decision.

Pros are the good things.

Cons are the bad things.

It's helpful to know what's good and bad of each style to help with your buying decision.

Heh, I know what Pros and Cons are. I just think its a pro that the sound of a 2-stroke doesn't travel as far.

Yep, just top end jobs...Most of the time if you take care of you're 4-Stroke you never have to touch the valves. At least with a Yamaha... :thumbsup:

i think this depends alot on how much and how hard you ride. i know yamaha guys with big miles that have had to do plenty of engine work too, but they do seeem to be pretty good on valves.

all i know about is ktm 2-strokes, which are about the most maintenance-free motorcycles since the xr400 as far as i can tell. i can go 3-5,000 miles on a top end (a year of riding for me, 4-5 years for most people it seems). by comparison, of the 4-strokes i have owned:

klr650 - bulletproof, valves never moved in 20,000 miles after beakin

klx300 - after 5000 miles valves were shot and had to be replaced, at vastly more expense than a 2 stroke top-end or two

husabergfe550 (2005) so far only 2000 hard miles on it. valves barely moved when i've checked them (every 1000-ish miles) and a valve adjust can be done in 20 minutes. still more maintenance than any 2-stroke i've owned tho.

anyway, 2-stroke and 4-stroke each have pros and cons, and chokey enumerated them pretty accurately imho.

mw

Yes, the 2 stroke is less maintenance, especially the ktm's. After 2 full racing seasons on my 2004 KTM 300, I could still see some of the cross hatch when I held the cylinder up to a light. I had done rings twice before, so this was the 3rd time apart and I just changed the rings again because the piston was in great shape. The ring end gaps weren't even that far off. I have owned kx, cr and yz 250's and they were all about half that life.

The 4 stroke is so much fun to ride though, so much traction, hill climbing is a blast. It's nice to sit on top of a hill climb watching all of your buddies try to spin their smokers up to the top.

I always thought that my thumper was far more finicky with jetting then all of my 2 strokes?! So wouldn't that be a con for a thumper? So many more jets too, and jetting circuits