Sign in to follow this  

Getting a CRF450

well, im getting a CRF450 soon. Is there anything i need to know about this bike before i ride it the first time? :thumbsup::ride:

without knowing your experience with 4 strokes, 450's, or motorcycles at all thats a hard question to answer. It's pretty open.

Are you talking about maintenance, power, Honda's vs ????, handling?

How are you riding? Mx, trails, desert?

See what I mean.

Be alittle more specific and everyone will give you some form of opinion

Motofreak are you seriously moving directly from a crf50 to a crf450?

If I was a high school freshman looking to get a bike I don't think I'd jump straight to a 450 unless you are a monster in size. (like already 6'0)

which are you getting, an "r" or "x"? The count down has started

Run a full quart (whatever that is) in the tranny !!! To be sure, to be sure, to be sure.

well, im getting a CRF450 soon. Is there anything i need to know about this bike before i ride it the first time? :thumbsup::applause:

But seriosuly. If your profile is correct and up-to-date, it will have arm tearing power compared to your current bike (a CRF50 ??? ). You should know about this above all else. Assuming you are a gun MXer or similar, do the mods recommended in this forum (a search under "uncorking" helps). If not, perhaps consider a riding school or a smaller displacement bike like the 230 or 250. Others, more expereinced with this ride will have plenty of advice. Having owned a 450X for only 3 weeks now, all I can say is i'm loving every second I ride it. :ride:

hell no, off a 50. haha. i mean like, is there any thing i need to do to the engine, suspension etc. on the 250's you should revalve the suspension and stuff. do i need to do any of that before i ride THIS bike for the ITS first time. Im talking about the X, thats why its in the X forum.

Thanks

, is there any thing i need to do to the engine, suspension etc. on the 250's you should revalve the suspension and stuff. do i need to do any of that before i ride THIS bike for the ITS first time. Im talking about the X, thats why its in the X forum.

Thanks

I'm assuming it is a new stock bike from the first time comment. No nothing really other than chack the fluid amounts in the engine and tranny.

You will hear all kinds of break in procedures probably.

I would ride it well but not thrash on it too hard...but you do want to seat the engine components.

After the breakin ride to change the engine oil, filter, and tranny oil for sure. go with the 1 qt on the tranny side like roo said.

Service the headset bearings, swingarm needles, and linkage needles either right away or after the breakin ride or 3-10 hours (I waited to 10 hours and the steering headset bearing was pretty dry)

After 3-10 hours i would change the fork oil (it's also in the manual to do this after the "breakin ride")

Keep up with the oil, oil filter, air filter, and valve checks and it should last you a while

Suspension revalve will depend on your weight. It's valved for 180ish from the factory. I weigh 172 without gear and its fine for me.

Change the front tire soon or it will land you on your nugget it blows for traction.

thanks, yeah itll be brand new, newest year out, and straight from the dealer.

Thanks for an actuall answer that helped me out!!!!!! :thumbsup::ride: