Sign in to follow this  

Engine Sputter at high RPM

Was riding my '03 WR250F this weekend and when I got the RPM's up fairly high in any gear the motor really started to sputter (it also did it when in neutral and holding the throttle). It has never done this before and the only thing I've done since the last ride was oil chance, air filter maintenance and greasing the steerer bearings. If you didn't get up the RPM's it ran fine. I've done the free mods, FMF exhaust and the JD Jetting kit which I put at the recommended settings and haven't touched since. Elevation and temp weren't any different than usual. I'm thinking jetting but maybe it's something simpler?

i have had that same problem and if thats the case your on the wrong clip adjust it one at a time starting from 2nd down and one turn out and work your way through

If it is when you are full throttle, go smaller on the main jet. You are rich.

If it is when you are full throttle, go smaller on the main jet. You are rich.

+1 I had this problem when I first installed the jd kit. Went down 1 from 185 to 180. I bought a 182 but have never put it in to see what difference it would make but was very happy with the 180...

I've had the jetting kit in for a couple of years now, why would it be a problem now? I don't think anything has changed. If I'm too rich could it just be a fuel/air mixture screw issue or would that be through the whole range?

I've had the jetting kit in for a couple of years now, why would it be a problem now? I don't think anything has changed. If I'm too rich could it just be a fuel/air mixture screw issue or would that be through the whole range?

Did it sit for a while, could the carbs need cleaning, bad fuel.

If the jetting was once correct then I would start somewhere else.

Spark plug?

I talked to someone at work today and he suggested the same things, spark plug and fuel. I'm pretty certain the fuel was good but the bike did sit a while since the last long ride. I think I'll drain the fuel and put a new plug in and see where that goes. Thanks for the help guys.

I talked to someone at work today and he suggested the same things, spark plug and fuel. I'm pretty certain the fuel was good but the bike did sit a while since the last long ride. I think I'll drain the fuel and put a new plug in and see where that goes. Thanks for the help guys.

Get ya some carb cleaner also and since you did the jet kit you know where they are. Clean it out.

A change in temperature is enough to change your settings.

I would do what Lasik says, and clean it out first.