Sign in to follow this  

When the bike decides to go sideways in the air, what to do?

Today like the first time I went to clear this table I guess I hit a weird rut in the face or something & it sent the bike side ways in the air and I came up short on the table a little bit, and when I landed sideways the bike bounced, swapped ends, bucked me off, and I went flying head first from the top of the table to flat, landed on my back, smacked my head a good one, knocked the wind out of myself....

Now to the question. Basically what can you do to correct when you get sideways like this in the air? And is there any suspension adjustments I could make that would make the bike not bounce and swap ends so much when I land like this?

Blipping the throttle in the air may help straighten it out, and land on the gas.

use one of your legs to push your asshand in the right direction again.

Just try to bring the bike in with your legs as much as you can everything you can do to being the bike back in straight . And when land, make sure you land with your front wheel.

But yeah, I have had the same problem as you on a couple of jumps also. I would land alittle whipped out then barely case and my rear would swap. But I don't know if it is too fast of rebound or too slow.

Yeah I landed with the front wheel first. I was actually trying bringing the bike back in line with my legs a little bit today but I really couldn't get the back end back in line. I will work more with it next weekend. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Like Bacon said, using the throttle is the best way :thumbsup: but if you get tooo sideways you are F#$%ed :ride:

Yeah that was another thing, I didn't use throttle to try and straighten out.

Look for smoother line of face of jumps

Grip bike with legs on take-off

Make sure you are in neutral position with the pegs weighted evenly

Check you rear shock rebound setting

Throttle control off face of jump (engine braking will bring rear sideways)

If all else fails and the rear comes around, land with the gas on hard and sometimes it will straighten out

You should be squeezing the bike between your legs when leaving the jump. This will keep the kicking out to a minimum and gives you more control over the bike while in the air. Hitting the throttle also helps the bike strighten out. Squeezing is key though.

lets say that your right side kicks out on you putting pressure on the right foot peg has always worked for me

if you find you get a bit crossed up in the air, always remember to look where you want/expect to land. Dont look sideways or at the ground trying to bring it in, doesnt work. Lets say the back end of the bike is whipped out to your right. What you want to do is (off the throttle) get towards the front of the bike and use your legs to align the bike. Once straight, or about to hit the ground, give it some nice smooth gas. Always try to keep the front wheel pointing to where you want to land, but locking it up in the opposite direction to the whip can also help bring it in.

- Ken Roche

if you find you get a bit crossed up in the air, always remember to look where you want/expect to land. Dont look sideways or at the ground trying to bring it in, doesnt work. Lets say the back end of the bike is whipped out to your right. What you want to do is (off the throttle) get towards the front of the bike and use your legs to align the bike. Once straight, or about to hit the ground, give it some nice smooth gas. Always try to keep the front wheel pointing to where you want to land, but locking it up in the opposite direction to the whip can also help bring it in.

- Ken Roche

So you grip it with your legs and move the bike using both of them? It seems to make more sense to me to sort of lean a little bit to the right and then push on the right foot peg to move it back. ??

joshb, Have you tried any suspension settings that have stopped the swap when landing hard or caseing,etc?

I don't want to mess with it and make it worse then hit a jump, swap and get hurt. I want you to experiment. :thumbsup:

Because I wouldn't do 2 doubles and 1 triple at a track, Saturday. Because I knew I would either overjump or case(which was easy because the landing was steep) the first time I would try them, then I would swap and crash. Which I don't want to do.

Um well all I did was slow the shock rebound two clicks but I haven't tested yet. I actually sat this weekend out because my back is still killing me from last weekends swap out crash and the bike is all messed up right now....

I'm hoping to just use the new techniques I've learned from this thread to help out the next time I swap out hard again :thumbsup:

pray before you ride , that way if you end up waking up at a hospital 8hrs later, like i did and never got to enjoy the helicopter ride, at least you know your right with God . like what was mentioned earlier try to steer the bike with your legs , body postion, try to land on the front wheel and be rolling the gas on as you land, look ahead

My problem is that I get stiff and can't move a bone when it happens. :thumbsup: It happen to me on small jumps (I'm too scared to go big because of that) so I get minimal time to fix things up (if I could) when it happens.

when ya land sideways so say you land with the back end to the right, when you land the bike will bounce back to the left and you'll get drove into the dirt