Sign in to follow this  

Puting BIG tires on an XR400

I like the look and feel of big tires and id like to put then on my XR400. I want a 220 rear and 110 front, how would one go about doing this? I would odviously need new rims, could I have them sent out and widened with a two strips on each side of the spokes?

What are you talking about ?????? No such tires exist.

You want big tires on a XR400 ? Go with the Pirelli MT16 120/100X18 and the matching 21" front.

Dwgiht

What are you talking about ?????? No such tires exist.

You want big tires on a XR400 ? Go with the Pirelli MT16 120/100X18 and the matching 21" front.

Dwgiht

Or a Terraflex 150.

Or a Terraflex 150.

The trelleborgs (I believe that's what it was, they got about an inch of knob on them, wiegh like 19 pounds :thumbsup:) are also a BEEFY tire.

:thumbsup: Sounds like you are ready to come join the supermoto party :ride:

Just out of curiousity how big do the supermoto guys go? 180s? What can a stock swingarm fit?

The 4.25x17 rim fits with no mods & can use a 150 to 160 tire depending make of tire. With a few mods a 5.00x17 rim will fit & uses a 160 to 170 tire.

I think this guy is pulling our chain.

Dwight

maybe not, look at his avatar.

I do reaise the fact that its way off the wall idea, Ive got a collection of fat tire bikes, Honda Fat Cat, TW200, Big Wheel 350, Big Wheel 200, along with an XR400, I just figured it be a cool project to complete the big tire family with something off the wall.

Its a serious question, I know it would require a good amount of fabrication and im not afraid of that, I was just looking for suggestions on ways to do it.

The only way would be to fabricate a new swingarm. Much much wider. You would also need to make sure it can cycle through it's full travel, without the extra width hitting anything.

I've seen a fatcat/threewheeler front end swapped onto an XL350 with a home built fat tire swingarm, looked cool on some narrower quad tiers, but I wouldn't do it with an XR400.