Sign in to follow this  

Transmission fluid

Hey,

Im new to the forums and to dirtbikes, I just bought an 05 YZ 125 off the showroom floor a couple months ago. Love it, everytime I ride I think of all the years ive missed out on riding....but anyway. I use it for trail riding only, as of yet,and being a newb I obviously dont ride too hard. I was wondering how often I should drain and change tranny fluid Ive got maybe 20 hours on it right now so what do you all think?

Another thing I'm experiencing a little hesitation in first gear under hard acceleration, any tips on that would be greatly appreciated too....

Thanks for any help, Urps

I usaully do mine every 10.. 20 hours seems like ahwile to me but who knows.. I doubt the hesitation in first gear is due to the oil.. but if i was you i would change it and find out.

I wouldn't wait 20 hours again for the oil change. It's cheap and easy to do so why not do it more often?

The hesitation could be many things. A dirty air filter comes to mind, carb adjustment, spark plug, poor gas, etc.

Get your bike caught up w/ the maintenance stuff and then see how she runs. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't wait 20 hours again for the oil change. It's cheap and easy to do so why not do it more often?

The hesitation could be many things. A dirty air filter comes to mind, carb adjustment, spark plug, poor gas, etc.

Get your bike caught up w/ the maintenance stuff and then see how she runs. :thumbsup:

yeah, just check all the regular maintenance stuff and if it's still having trouble, try messing with the carb a little bit. Also you might want to try some different 2 stroke mixes and see which one it runs best with.

Dont get me wrong I know its not the oil, I was just throwing that out there for a little advice

I just put a ReadyFilter and Pro Circuit R304 Stainless shorty silencer on it which helped a lot... It doesnt pause in any other gear but first and it wants to stutter like right before the hit Im thinking i might need to drop my main jet down a notch but im not sure...i was just looking for advice before I really tore into it....

thanks for the help though

Sounds like it may be running a bit rich, try droping the needle one clip. If you have the next size leaner needle try putting that in on the same groove as this will be equal to half a clip position.

Sounds like it may be running a bit rich, try droping the needle one clip. If you have the next size leaner needle try putting that in on the same groove as this will be equal to half a clip position.

I agree, lower the needle one clip and see how she runs.

yeah 10 hours is about right, come to think of it mine has about that, need to change it. :thumbsup: