Sign in to follow this  

kick over bike, gas flows wrong way.

Yeah I know it sounds weird. While trying to get this old 82 xr200r to fire for the first time since I got it, I ran into numerous problems. Since the bike wouldn't start and I have absolutely no clue what I am doing I decided to start messing with stuff. I unhooked the air box off of the bike and started kicking it over. I was doing this to see if it would suck on my hand. My hand started getting wet. I smelled it and odley enough it smelled like gas. Does this mean my timing is off by 180*? I did not tear into the motor, but my compression seems poor. It won't blow my thumb off the spark plug hole. Any idea's on what I should check, where it is located, how I get to it and what should it be set at? I am goign to try an order a manual on Thursday after I get paid. I was hopign to get it running with out having to buy a manual yet. Also i do not have the compression release hooked up, it just rests against the cylinder head fins.

Begin with a compression test. 160 - 175 PSI

It sounds like it might be low and the intake valve may be out of adjustment, worn, or held partially open.

Hand choking a bike you will usually get fuel on your hand, It is not uncommon.

First check for spark,

Second test compression (With a guage)

3rd check for fuel or add some your self.