Tame this 03 CRF450 for the woods.

I want to detune my bike for the woods. Its an almost new 2003 CRF450R and the power is great but there is just to much of it in the tight stuff. I've put a 13 oz fly wheel on it but its still to agressive for Enduro's and tight Hare scrambles. How can I further detune this bike, CRX cam, lower compression, etc? If the bottom weren't so strong I would love this bike. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a G2 throttle kit on my bike and ride it in WORCS style races, as well as MX. It inlcudes 3 different throttle profiles that give you options on how aggressive the throttle opens. I'd suggest against a complete de-tune, never know when you need that extra H.P. ! You could also install a FMF Q series muffler which would tame it evn more.

I want to detune my bike for the woods. Its an almost new 2003 CRF450R and the power is great but there is just to much of it in the tight stuff. I've put a 13 oz fly wheel on it but its still to agressive for Enduro's and tight Hare scrambles. How can I further detune this bike, CRX cam, lower compression, etc? If the bottom weren't so strong I would love this bike. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Forget about flywheel wts and motor work. Invest in a Rekluse clutch now!

I have had this product on a 02 CRF 450, Husky 510 and now on a 04 CR 250r. The clutch automatically smooths out the powerband and reduces the hit. If the bike still pulls to hard like My Husky did. I simply adjusted at the countershaft sprocket. The Rekluse allowed me to go two teeth larger on the Husky and 1 on the CRF. In both bikes the powerband became excellent for offroad. Russ

On my 02 crf 450r, i allso put a 13 oz. fly wheel,and it helps some. But you need to add a some kind of spark arrsstor ,a Q F.M.F. ,or a smaller tip , that well tame it down some. I put a smaller perforated core out of an old 2smoke that i had an put it in side my 450 muffler , it works great to tame it down ,and drop the noise too. To the no(cal)norider. The guy want help, not soon num-nut that puts faces on his post. I`m did it with my stock muffler, it just makes it a like having two cores, 1 large,and one smaller one. Kind of like the older Q that have baffles. And it dose work.

Sprockets.....

Increase rear or reduce the front.

Look at the Vortex cdi. 10 ignition curves. One will be a traction map. It'll hold the advance curve back which provides more torque (ignition retarded).

I have a 03 CFR and a 06 WR and believe it'll be cost prohibitive to try to get the 'tractability' of the WR from the CRF with tuning mods only. It might require a cam change to make you happy but I'd go for a Vortex first.

Maybe it's time to buy an XR400?

Like someone else said, seat time helps with this bike. I have been riding tight woods lately and it is getting easier to handle...and I would NEVER detune this bike. That's like buying a Porsche and putting a VW engine in it. I agree with others about the Rekluse (though i don't have one anymore).

If your hell bent on detuning it, just sell it and get a crf250 or XR400.

you need to change this topic. You dont buy a 450 to have it detuned to maked it easier to ride. You just learn how to ride a 450. It sounds to me like you should of bought a 250f. My only suggestion is to buy the rekluse and gear it differently. I race harescrambles on a 450 and i would have it no other way but it did take a little time to get used to. keep riding

Hi,

My former bike was a CRF 450R 2003 and i used it for off-road (european enduro style). The best you can do, is to buy Powernow, very efficient on this bike. You'll have more torque, and feeling to have lower 1st gear in tiny conditions. Very efficient on this R, not on my current X...