Tame this 03 CRF450 for the woods.

13 ozs is NOT ENOUGH WEIGHT, there is a great big lighting fly wheel out there i want to try im thinking it was 16 oz or larger. I would check on that X cam as i believe it has a less agressive grind on it.

I use the chain wheel sprocket thingy to go slower in the twisty steep stuff, but of course that KILLS your top end.

I believe Steahly has a 17oz....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride my 450r on tight single track and yes the were not made for going slow and will stall when you really need them not to if ya know what I mean. I have picked mine up way too often. 13 ozs is NOT ENOUGH WEIGHT, there is a great big lighting fly wheel out there i want to try im thinking it was 16 oz or larger. I would check on that X cam as i believe it has a less agressive grind on it.

I use the chain wheel sprocket thingy to go slower in the twisty steep stuff, but of course that KILLS your top end.

Well, I guess I'll take it off then... :ride:?

Maybe it's time to buy an XR400?

Like someone else said, seat time helps with this bike. I have been riding tight woods lately and it is getting easier to handle...and I would NEVER detune this bike. That's like buying a Porsche and putting a VW engine in it. I agree with others about the Rekluse (though i don't have one anymore).

If your hell bent on detuning it, just sell it and get a crf250 or XR400.

Just finished a WORCS style course in Utah on an XR4. Granted I was geared way too tall and had a big ass tank on it but the guys on the lighter and/or more powerful bikes did lots better easier. I ride with an MX buddy on 450R and he does really well in the nasty stuff in stock form but I could not ride an R in stock form on tight single track without crashing and hauling the bike more than the XR. From what I can tell, especially with the heavier flywheel, you should gear that sucker down and spend lots of time practicing those sections that give you the most trouble. That's what I'm going to do but I'm going to do it on an X not R. JM02

You need to start out slower in first then rev it up to second----it will totally rip

to detune the bike you always need to start out slow then go further by revving up to full throttle ------it will totally rip------don't be scared----it will get you up and then just give it the best you got----if you need pointer just let me know---------Scotto ?http://www.funformobile.com/pages/ringtone/PreviewSrchRT.php?index=15800&desc=Eminem+-+Just+Lose+It&fmt=MP3&sz=100075&src=http%3A%2F%2Fmobile.zipzic.com%2Ftones%2Fmp3%2F436.mp3&pg=http%3A%2F%2Fmobile.zipzic.com%2Ftones.php%3Fsection%3D1%26char%3De%26offset%3D0&sd=Y :ride:http://www.funformobile.com/pages/ringtone/PreviewSrchRT.php?index=15800&desc=Eminem+-+Just+Lose+It&fmt=MP3&sz=100075&src=http%3A%2F%2Fmobile.zipzic.com%2Ftones%2Fmp3%2F436.mp3&pg=http%3A%2F%2Fmobile.zipzic.com%2Ftones.php%3Fsection%3D1%26char%3De%26offset%3D0&sd=Y

Sorry guys, this was my buddies girl. She had one too many drinks at the time she wrote this. It is damn funny though!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to totally agree with the guy who stated that he would sell his crf450R and get a pinger bike for the woods. I have tried the flywheel weight 13oz and several different sprockets and still not happy. I bought a xr400 and it was like a trail cadilac compared to the crf400r, however, not as able to fly, not even wanting too fly it. So what the f... Now I am thinking about the crf250X or a KTM. Just dont know. But I do know that any xr is geared better for tight woods than a crf...R. Western WAshington stumpjumpers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an XR400R and I just took an CRF450R '06 for a test drive. I totally know what you mean about the XR400 being a cadillac! Infact I described the XR like this to the guy selling his R.

I only rode the R for 30 min, but I'd say my only complaint was that stock it was very, very stiff in the suspension. Since this guy is selling his bike at a very good price and almost no hours/wear, I'll probably end up buying the R and softening the suspension. I am amazed by its performance!

I never had any problems with gearing, and never even came close to stalling (but 30 min is really too short to evaluate). The R is a very light and there is no comparison to the XR for response. I think I'll keep the R for at least a year. I might still consider an X or a KTM 300 exec....I love the R for now.

I have a 02 Crf 450r and at first i couldnt stand the pull the thing had.

but after four days of riding i love it. its got a 53 tooth rear but i dont think that lowers the low end to mid pull. if ur not sitting right the bike likes to lift of the ground.

I ride trails and tighter trails. Ones you get used to it the bike rocks!

I have a '06 450r and have tuned it for the woods. I tried the sprocket gearing (12-55) and that made it worse. After playing with it for a time I ended up with a 14 tooth front and 48 rear, I installed a weight on the flywheel (13 oz was enough for me) but the main thing was the rekluse auto clutch with the perch adjuster to set it up just right. I can now ride it on any goat trails and it still has the power when the trail opens up. I'm not sure how long my clutch will last but if I have to replace the plates every winter it will still be worth it. ?

? I just bought a rekluse auto-clutch..,, and with the flywheel weight of 13oz and a 50tooth rear sprocket.... YES ... I.. Have .. tamed ... the .. 450 BEAST . Dont listen to dirt biker magazine test, if you ride the tight of the tightest then you need a rekluse on the Beast. Also with the rekluse, it allows you to focus more of whats left of your brain on riding instead of when and how to work the clutch.

I have a '06 450r and have tuned it for the woods. I tried the sprocket gearing (12-55) and that made it worse. After playing with it for a time I ended up with a 14 tooth front and 48 rear, I installed a weight on the flywheel (13 oz was enough for me) but the main thing was the rekluse auto clutch with the perch adjuster to set it up just right. I can now ride it on any goat trails and it still has the power when the trail opens up. I'm not sure how long my clutch will last but if I have to replace the plates every winter it will still be worth it. ?

12/55 - are you kidding??? That is horrendous gearing.

I bet the bike was like a complete light switch!!!

Offroading the 450R means spreading the ample power - auto clutch seems like a good idea but also 14/48 or 47 is the way to go.

Some people are saying the auto clutchs are not good long term for the gearbox?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an '03 CRF450R since new - best bike I've ever ridden. However, I just moved to the coast (BC) and started racing offroad. 1st problem is when you can't keep it in 1st in really tight terrain. 2nd problem is overheating in the same situation.

I'm heading out the door to go grab a 51t rear (paired with the 13t stock up front), which should help, but I'm also interested to hear so much about the Rekluse clutches. Anyone have any wear-n-tear stories with these? PS: don't bother trying the 12t up front with an o-ring chain - doesn't fit.

Also, does anyone have experience with aftermarket impellers? I may not need one if I can keep the bike running a bit faster (better coolant circulation).