Sign in to follow this  

CR500 engine done

I am currently doing a total rebuild on my CR500. Powercoating frame, new plastics, newer sus. All the good stuff.

While I had the engine out I decided to clean it up and get a tad more HP out of it. Had the head milled 0.030", Rad valve, bored 2nd over, new FMF pipe and PC silincer and to top it off; a larger carb.

I'll put up some more pics when it's all done.

Here is the engine as it is now :thumbsup:

im000345es3.th.jpg

Yea I know... messy shop. I took them out for the pic but I do have rags plugging the coolant nipples, oil fill hole, spark plug hole, intake and ex. ports.

Get some more pics up of the whole project!

That thing is going to haul arse (not that you needed to mod it to do that)!!! Is that a 91 engine or did you buy a later model engine to put in your 91?

That thing is going to haul arse (not that you needed to mod it to do that)!!! Is that a 91 engine or did you buy a later model engine to put in your 91?

It's a 91 bottome end with a 96 top end. Thats how it came when I got it. only on it's 2nd over to boot :thumbsup:

Short of an explosion, there is no excuse to ever rebuild a CR500 motor, they never wear out. Great engines...

that looks sweet, but how much more power does a cr500 need? :thumbsup: Be sure to post pics of the finished product.

You probably already know, but if you want info on how to squeez the most out of the cr500 engine, talk to www.servicehonda.com - This is what my dad has after he sold is crf450, and said he will never get another bike!

DSC00885z.jpg

You probably already know, but if you want info on how to squeez the most out of the cr500 engine, talk to www.servicehonda.com - This is what my dad has after he sold is crf450, and said he will never get another bike!

DSC00885z.jpg

That must have cost him some money from service honda?

:thumbsup: I plan on doing a AF conversion ( thats why I decided not to have it powdercoated now) this winter.

And yes... the reason I had to rebuild the engine is because the thing ran WFO in 4th gear with me on it 'till it locked up. I'll take pics of the old rod and pin later. Heh. When I drained the coolant it was dark brown... it went in green.