Sign in to follow this  

is .05 a big difference?

I needed a new cylinder for my bike so i bought a '87 jug off of ebay for $40 and says it has a 65.45mm bore. I also needed a new piston (not needed.. just wanted :applause:) so i bought a wiseco piston with a STD bore of 65.5. Do you think one of the measurments is wrong or what? :ride: Will it really make that much of a difference? :thumbsup:

have the jug bored to match the piston. good machinist does wonders. Could have them check the valve seating while you are at it.

It wouldn't be as bad if the jug were larger than the piston, but in this scenario it's vice versa. This may cause problems of abnormal wear.

I'm just hoping that the people who sold me the cylinder where wrong in there measurments... If the stock bore on a XR200 is 65.5 then how did the bore get smaller??? Thats all I'm thinking.

:ride: Always want to get the cyl in your hands first! Run a hone through it, clean it up and measure checking for taper, out of round and size. Then you will have a better idea of whether it needs bored, and what you need for a piston! :thumbsup: Many time I don't know for sure till I make a pass on the boring bar to see how much it's going to take to clean the bore.

I bore mainly Hodaka cylinders (ever hear of one of those? :applause: ) and stock most all the pistons for the 100 and 125's. Makes it really nice for me and the customer not having to guess and ending up with too small a piston to clean the bore. Or too large and wasting a valuable bore.

Old School Al