Sign in to follow this  

Yosh header-exaust junction

hi guys. new DRZ guy. Happy to have found this group, and have done a bit of customizing from info gathered. Plan to give back tips I've found for sure.

Got any advice how to stuff my header into the exaust myself? new RS3 system. I can't come up with the last inch. Tried tapping with soft ended hammers, but I'm afraid to really hit it. Greased interface, which looks straight and clean.

do you need 2 people?

I'm way past that. I'm 2 hours into this with every trick I can think of. The welded on nut for the exaust gaurd is not a seamless thing inside the muffler end. My only other thought is to grind it down perfectly smooth in there with a dremel bit of some sort. I hand sanded it a little.

Do you owners of this RS3 recall being able to fit the pieces together before putting it on the bike? I certainly could not do that either.

thanks for jogging the memory. I hate to send this thing back and argue why the aluminum muffler is all scratched up from rubbing on the frame during this midnight battle.

Make sure the midpipe mount bracket isn't hitting the mount bracket on the subframe, may need to file that down a little.

some people stick the headpipe in the freezer first, though Ive never tried it...

thanks very much for helping.

My exaust just seems to have a ridiculously tight fit. I bolted the header on tight, put the passenger peg thing on, and twisted/pushed that way. Got it within maybe 1/2", but short of some 2x4 hammer trick...I can't see muscles doing the job.

At this point I can get one of the bolts in the footpeg bracket if I rotate it a bit. This piece is needed to hold the exaust to the frame. What have DRZ people done to hold the exaust when they toss the passenger pegs? I think I have these pieces fitted in enough for a good seal at least.

I feel like the guy I read recently who wrestled with his IMS 4 gallon tank for 4 hours. I did that for about an hour, and finally forced things to line up good enough to get bolts in. I did get a few parts on this thing easily, I swear.

Mine was kind of a bitch too but it went on. Mine was just like yours, I could get one of the foot peg bolts in but not both, then realized the bracket on the subframe (that the pass peg bolts to) was interfering with the pipe and had to be notched in the middle to get the last 1/4" I found it easier to do this while leaving the header bolts slightly loose.

Also, it's easier with the passenger peg because you can pull on the peg and get more leverage than the little aluminum peg-eliminator bracket. I just cut the peg off with a dremel after install and painted it black, same effect as the 40$ bracket although a little less blingy.

Mine was impossible to get together.

So I took it back apart, put the header in the freezer, and warmed the muffler section with a propane torch. They slid together so easy, it was a joke after all the struggling.

You may want to put some anti seize in the joint before you assemble, in case you need to wrestle it apart later.

I used a dremel and had to sand BOTH the inside of the midpipe and the outside of the header pipe. And that was AFTER cutting about 3/16 inch off the header pipe. After putting some grease on the 2 pipes, I used a wood block and tapped it in tight, and that was the only way it would fit.

Don't forget to wipe everything down twice with alcohol so that you don't burn grease or fingerprints into the stainless steel when it heats up!

Oh, and I called Yoshi tech support and they said that they might have a quality problem and that the guages that they use to measure the pipes may be wearing out. :thumbsup: