Sign in to follow this  

2001 Montesa Question

Hi there, new to thumper talk. Looking to get my first trials bike. I've found a 2001 Montesa Cota, and the seller thinks the rear shock needs to be serviced. New oil and nitrogen(?) I think. Is there a shop that I can send the shock to that can perform the service? Is this a standard procedure? Any recommendations?

Also, I'm in SoCal, near Pasadena. Are there any riders in the area?

Thanks in advance,

Errin

If you don't find a shop you can walk in to, contact Lewisport USA. Talk to Adrian at 209 785-6878. He's in Central California and does a lot of service work on Montesas and just about all of the other makes too.

I'm sure there are riders in your area. Go to this web site for your local information. If you don't find a member contact list I'm sure you can email the webmaster for personal information.

http://atatrials.com/

Or ask Adrian when you call. He knows all of the clubs and most of the people too

:thumbsup:

Thank you. I called around got some answers. Doesn't sound like too big of a deal at all.

Errin

Get it done! The season opener down here is at Cougar Buttes in the Lucerne Valley on Saturday September 16 2006

:thumbsup:

So does that mean you'll be there? I'm looking for some people to ride with in SoCal. Where are you located? I'm in Alhambra.

Another question. I've also come across a 2000 Gas Gas 200. Any opinions on the Gas Gas vs the Montesa? I've been told by some people that I may "grow" out of the 200 pretty fast. Any thoughts? What would you more experienced guys do? Should I keep looking for a GG 280 or pick up the Montesa?

Errin

Another question. I've also come across a 2000 Gas Gas 200. Any opinions on the Gas Gas vs the Montesa? I've been told by some people that I may "grow" out of the 200 pretty fast. Any thoughts? What would you more experienced guys do? Should I keep looking for a GG 280 or pick up the Montesa?

Errin

The 200 Pro is almost identical in every way to the 280 and 300 except for the cylinder size, smaller flywheel and a 2mm smaller diameter fork. As your only bike, I would only recommend it only if you have trouble kick starting the 280.

My Wife has one and it's a sweet bike but she weighs only 105 pounds and 5 feet tall. She rides the 280 and loves it but can't start it.

As your only bike, I would only recommend it only if you have trouble kick starting the 280.

So I guess I should keep looking then. Thanks for the info.

Errin

So I guess I should keep looking then. Thanks for the info.

Errin

From what I know the Montesa 315 is a great bike. One of my friends rides a 1998 315R and it has been bullet proof. So if the price is right and if it is still available...

From what I know the Montesa 315 is a great bike. One of my friends rides a 1998 315R and it has been bullet proof. So if the price is right and if it is still available...

It seems unchanged too. The seller replaced it with a 2004, and he says that it's the same identical bike. So the issue of it being older technology doesn't apply, just the amount of use it's been through. Doesn't seem to be the same with GasGas. Seems some changes happened from 2000 to 2001.

Errin

I know there were some very minor changes on the Montesa's. Graphics, fork coatings, valving, etc....But nothing that a novice would ever notice. The Montesa's do have their own "feel", but not that it's bad, just different. Probably the best quality of all the trials bikes, it is a Honda.