Sign in to follow this  

Broken clutch springs

i pulled out my clutch last week and 5 out of the 6 springs were broken. altogether there were about 20-30 peices. the springs were a set that came out of a barnett clutch kit. has anyone else seen this happen? is it just a bad batch or are they selling junk springs?

I don't know if it makes a difference, but what basket are you using, when we put in a hinson, it stated in the directions not to use barnett plate's, If that carry overs to the springs you might want to check, we have broken plates but never springs..

when we put in a hinson, it stated in the directions not to use barnett plate's..

Hinson does not recommend using ANY friction plate lined with Kevlar.

They believe that Kevlar plates cause an increase in wear rate on clutch components.

Last time I had them on the phone they wanted me to use OEM fibers, steels and springs when using Hinson clutch components.(Basket, Pressure Plate and Hub)

As far as the original question about clutch springs.... have not heard anything or seen anything.

everything was stock except the springs were from a barnett kit. i hadnt put the plates in yet, the old ones were fine so i just put in the springs.

When I bought my 450 used it had Barrnetts heavy duty springs in it. When I replaced my clutch I found the same thing, only 4 of mine were trashed. It maybe that the springs are junk. But it may also be that the springs bottom end was not on the pressure plate correctly, I don't know I didn't install them. The spring end needs to be on the metal flange of the pressure plate, the inner part of the holes do not have flange metal. Make sure you install the new ones with the ends on metal.

That said, I will never put Barrnett springs in my bike again. I bet those PC ones work great. They are expensive though, I am running a DP kit with their springs now. I have taken it apart twice and they are holding up great.

Barnett springs are notorious for breaking - DO NOT USE THEM!!!

Put some stock springs in and shim them with some spark plug washers or put 3 stock springs in and 3 CR500 springs.

surflex is making a nice set of plates and springs in a set...iv'e been testing there slipper clutch with anti hop and that thing is awesome...even there std. replacement set up is very good.