Sign in to follow this  

jetting for full Muzzy -- and other questions

I got the Muzzy on and I have the FCR off the bike. (Long overdue for putting the E intake boot on!)

CPW set it up with a 38 pilot, 160 main, EMM needle 4th position (out of 7). (Boy, that's one big needle!)

I'm using the spark arrestor only. No quiet core. Bike runs fine as is.

Just wondering: should I put in a 40 pilot or move the needle to the 5th position?

I ride mostly around 2000-3500 ft.

-------------------------------------

As the EM needles go from M, N, P, R, etc., what's going on? More or less taper?

Also, taking my throttle cables off is a major PITA. Pro Motion cables into threaded bracket -- takes forever to turn out the cable to get them off the bracket. Can I drill out a larger opening and just use the nuts to hold the cables in place?

What size main and pilot air jets? What mixture screw setting? The pilot jet, pilot air jet, and mixture screw all work together, so it is hard to advise on pilot jet size without knowing the other settings.

I had a similar setup on my E model (full Muzzy with quiet core) with a 72 pilot air jet. I had to turn out my mixture screw to 3 turns out and it still wasn't rich enough at idle and just off idle steady cruising, but maybe at your elevation this is fine. With a 38 pilot jet, I would think that a 70 pilot air jet would work or you could get the pilot air screw (pas) conversion from sudco. I ended up going back to the stock E 45 pilot jet and installing the pas set at 1 turn out (=100 pilot air jet) as per Eddie's recommendations and ended up with the mixture screw at 2.75 turns out and like this setup better. I'm also now running a JD jet kit needle and 162 main with stock 200? main air jet and AP squirt set to ~1 second. Note that most of my riding is ~300' to ~2000'.

There is a chart somewhere on the net that describes the different FCR needle numbers. I think it can be found on a page in the sudco.com online catalog on FCR carbs. Anyway, an EMM is slightly richer than an EMN, etc. At one time I had an ELM needle (actually a stock Yamaha needle), with the middle "L" being 1/2 clip richer than the "M". I think the current recommendation from Eddie is the EMN needle.

I got the Muzzy on and I have the FCR off the bike. (Long overdue for putting the E intake boot on!)

CPW set it up with a 38 pilot, 160 main, EMM needle 4th position (out of 7). (Boy, that's one big needle!)

I'm using the spark arrestor only. No quiet core. Bike runs fine as is.

Just wondering: should I put in a 40 pilot or move the needle to the 5th position?

I ride mostly around 2000-3500 ft.

-------------------------------------

As the EM needles go from M, N, P, R, etc., what's going on? More or less taper?

Also, taking my throttle cables off is a major PITA. Pro Motion cables into threaded bracket -- takes forever to turn out the cable to get them off the bracket. Can I drill out a larger opening and just use the nuts to hold the cables in place?

your jetting is fine as is .was to rich with stock pipe.

the needle code break down is as follows.

the first letter is the taper .E has more taper than a D needle.

the middle letter is relative clip position.

the third letter is straight diameter/starting demension.only effects small throttle openings.

EMM is richer at small throttle oepning than a EMN.other wise identical.