Sign in to follow this  

son-of-a-head-gasket

okay after getting the head on my bike i put in the 4 long bolts, aligned the gasketsw with all the rivets clear of the head and just as i was getting ready to tighten it all up, i realized i had forgotten the washers for the 4 big bolts. i looked around, but couldn't find the ziploc with them. it was late, so i said f-it, i'm going to bed.

so the next day i found the washers and i realized i had gotten the base gasket pretty oily putting it on the first time so i pulled it all out and gently cleaned it all up and put it back together.

so put the head on the bike and i started to just barely wrench-tighten (like a 1/2 turn past finger tight) the 4 big bolts and i noticed the rear brass rivet on the head gasket wasn't clearing the back of the head. so i loosed up the bolts a bit and tried to shimmy it back, it moved a tiny bit, and i thought it was clear, so i started to retighten.

...but by the time i did the initial 18ft/lbs tightening i noticed that just a tiny bit of the top half of the brass rivet had not cleared the head. at this point everything else looked okay so i figured screw it and just tightened it all down to spec. so now i'm wondering if that was a mistake, should i just ride it and see what happens or get a new gasket set and start over?

if the later anyone got a link to the gasket sets in the TT store?

thx

hope-less-in-la-honda

I just buttoned up a top end myself. On my old, and new OEM Suzuki head gasket, there was no rivet, the layers were held together with a dimple. The dimple was flat on top, protruded on bottom. The dimple by default will compress back to flat, as there was no added material (like with a rivet)

So all should be fine.

I don't recall any wiggle room for gasket placement, the two alignment dowels pretty much lock everything in place.

Bob

as long as the rivet isnt being pinched between the head and cyllinder,your fine.

the whole rivet isn't being pinched, but a very tiny bit of the top part of the rivet is being pinched. here's a pic...

headg.jpg

the rivet looks a little munged from my attempt to re-adjust it. despite it's appearence i wasn't that brutal to it.

cool, i thought it was okay, but i've had such bum luck with my motor (and friggin engine ice and mobil 1 synth is NOT cheap) i didn't want to take any chances. so i'll filler her up and bolt her back together tonight. i miss my baby!