Sign in to follow this  

2006 525 SX questions

I want some opinions on the '06 525 SX. I have the opportunity to pick one up at a good price.

Is it fairly hard to tell the 450 and 525 apart just by looks? I do race MX occasionally and I would like to be able to enter in the 250 classes without being easilly noticed. I don't really look at it as an unfair advantage, because I'm super slow anyway and usually finish last so the more powerful bike isn't gonna help me lol.

Also, the 06 can still be made into a 6 speed correct?

It can be made into a 6 speed, couple of routes;

for about $300 in parts you can add wide ratio 5th & 6th, or

for about $350 in parts you can add close ratio 5th & 6th

As far as identifying the model as long as its obviously an SX if it was a 450SX it would have a short cylinder. Anybody who knows KTMs will spot the tall cylinder which tells them its either a 450EXC/MXC OR 525!

If you made it look like EXC;

Add Estart (another $600) and

Spark arrestor and

450EXC stickers you might bluff it in as a 450.

Or you could by a smaller bike? When I was a begineer I started on big bikes and tried to use power to offset skill. Three years later I moved down to a 250 and learned how to maintain momentum in the corners. I know I would have become a much better racer/rider if I had started on a small bike.

See, it's not really that I want to offset skill with power because I know that it doesn't work. I'm a very big guy, and I'm addicted to tons of power. I grew up riding 500 two strokes. I really don't race mx too often, and when I do it's just for fun. I'm not a beginner by any stretch, I just don't like to jump much.

Unless you are racing in some local series with strange rules you can race it in the 250 class. Even in AMA you can race it in the 250 class. What is the "fair" price? Anything more than $6000 is not a fair price at this point, considering that that price is high retail and based on the used market. Used 450's and 525's are going for $3-4000 depending on location. But, a new 06 is hard to argue with at the right price.

Oh, and nobody will know it is a 525 unless they REALLY know what they are looking at, and only usualy if they have a 450 to stare at back to back with the 525. Take off the 525 SX stickers and nobody will know.