Sign in to follow this  

How to get an extra key for bike?

I am selling my stock gas tank on Ebay and have it listed with the lockable gas cap. The only problem is I don't want to have to send out one of the only two keys that I have for my bike so that whoever buys it can unlock the cap.

Should I revise the item to not include the cap? Any suggestions?

I got mine at a locksmith shop..The last key I got from a dealer was like 8 bucks made by a kid from a code machine that didnt work when I got home..Like Eddie said!!!!

no,doesnt work that way on motorcyles.

Although, on at least some Honda's, they can cut a key if you know the code on the key. I lost my key and by dumb nerd luck had somehow looked at the key enough in the past to actually remember the three digit code that was stamped in it. Walked into my local Honda shop and had a working key cut in a few minutes for a few bucks. Man was I releived.

I guess had I not remembered it, I could have looked on the back of the igntion switch to find the code.

Of course, I just looked at my DRZ key and don't see a code on it, so I guess Suzuki doesn't also do this.

EDIT - Although I just looked at the original keys I got, and there is a little black tab with codes on it... I guess they could cut a key using those???

EDIT - Although I just looked at the original keys I got, and there is a little black tab with codes on it... I guess they could cut a key using those???

They do in the UK, but it's not cheap.

I got my spare key cut at a hardware shop for £1.50.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

Although, on at least some Honda's, they can cut a key if you know the code on the key. I lost my key and by dumb nerd luck had somehow looked at the key enough in the past to actually remember the three digit code that was stamped in it. Walked into my local Honda shop and had a working key cut in a few minutes for a few bucks. Man was I releived.

I guess had I not remembered it, I could have looked on the back of the igntion switch to find the code.

Of course, I just looked at my DRZ key and don't see a code on it, so I guess Suzuki doesn't also do this.

yes,at lock shop like i said.

i wouldnt trust "a guy" behind the counter at most dealerships to do it.

some ignitions them selves have codes some dont.

if you take an ignition switch to a good lock smith they can make a key regardless.

my key guy i amazing.

A buddy of mine took his bike to Montana, and lost the key somewhere between Washington and Montana. He took it to a locksmith. They picked the gas cap, took it apart, and made a key for it. He ended up with 2 new keys for $35.00 out the door. :thumbsup:

I just had two made when I was in the States...They're $10 each for the blanks from Suzuki (Took less than a week to get them)...Then just take them to your local Key cutter...

Thanks for all the repleis. I will stop at a few smiths to see what they can do.