Sign in to follow this  

2004 TE510 Engine Failure

86 hours / 2200 miles on the bike

primary failure: clutch basket rivets, secondary failure: transmission

repair cost: ~$2000 total, 1600 in parts, 400 on labor

3 rivets from the clutch basket failed, breaking and coming loose and ground through the transmission gears destroying the transmission. Broken gear teeth, split one gear in half, bent main output shaft by .03".

Clutch basket rivets - poor design? Too weak for application? Bound to fail on every bike made that way?

Anyone have this issue? Was Husqvarna USA able to help? So far they've said no to me.

What is everyone's thoughts? I'm terribly bummed. Still have 3 yrs of payments left on the bike. :thumbsup:

I don't feel I can trust the bike after putting the same stock parts (rivets) back into it. Hall's Husky checking on billet clutch basket that uses bolts to mount to gear rather than rivets. They said it was made for '05-06 bikes but may fit '04.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

ktl...

86 hours / 2200 miles on the bike

primary failure: clutch basket rivets, secondary failure: transmission

repair cost: ~$2000 total, 1600 in parts, 400 on labor

3 rivets from the clutch basket failed, breaking and coming loose and ground through the transmission gears destroying the transmission. Broken gear teeth, split one gear in half, bent main output shaft by .03".

Clutch basket rivets - poor design? Too weak for application? Bound to fail on every bike made that way?

Anyone have this issue? Was Husqvarna USA able to help? So far they've said no to me.

What is everyone's thoughts? I'm terribly bummed. Still have 3 yrs of payments left on the bike. :thumbsup:

I don't feel I can trust the bike after putting the same stock parts (rivets) back into it. Hall's Husky checking on billet clutch basket that uses bolts to mount to gear rather than rivets. They said it was made for '05-06 bikes but may fit '04.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

ktl...

As I recall, Husky changed the design in '05. An '05 basket and primary gear set should fit into your '04.

I love Huskys, have a reliable old '92 that won't die.

Unfortunately this kind of experience is all to common with limited production bikes, and is the reason to buy a Honda. Of course even those can have issues!

I love Huskys, have a reliable old '92 that won't die.

Unfortunately this kind of experience is all to common with limited production bikes, and is the reason to buy a Honda. Of course even those can have issues!

:ride::thumbsup:

As I recall, Husky changed the design in '05. An '05 basket and primary gear set should fit into your '04.

What is your understanding on how they addressed the problem? I looked at the '05 and '06 parts manuals and they still use 8 rivets to attach the clutch basket to the gear. The rivets are the same part number across the 3 years. Seems to me the parts are pretty much the same with no improvements. Maybe they improved their process of putting the parts together so the rivets are less likely to break later?

ktl...

When I was getting my slipper clutch, the slipper clutch was made for an '04. I was told that the clutch basket had been a two piece but for '05 it was made into a one peice. I've got my basket out of my bike right now. If you want I could go look at it and share what I find out in my inspection.

I too had the clutch rivets go on my bike. I noticed a bunch of debris in there and tracked it down to a rivet. I then got a second one break on a subsequent oil change this time no debris, just the head of the rivet on the magnetic drain plug. I got a new clutch basket thru my dealer at no cost, Husky USA covered the arts cost. They also sent new rivets so the old one could be repaired. I decided to just put the new one in. That was a year ago though.

Tough break for you. I'm glad it didn't implode my tranny or other stuff.

had the same bother with rivets breaking ,head came off and jammed the clutch.

spat me off.

fixed it myself with std rivets no problem for 1 year, it seems that the factory need to press them on better.

after running take off the clutch hub look for marks on the back, if the rivet is working loose there will be scoring

Does anyone have or know of a 2004 TE 250/450/510 scrap engine I could salvage transmission and clutch parts from cheap?

ktl...

Does anyone know if 2004 TE250s are prone to this rivet failure on clutch hubs? If so, I'll at least check the rivets soon...

I have only heard of it happening on the 510's. I have heard of about five failures here on TT. My dealer was able to arrange a free clutch basket thru Husky USA (Thanks guys) and they included a set of new rivets. I suppose I could replace the existing rivets in the old basket with those but I just dropped in the new basket.

Two rivets on mine broke, one came completely out and the other just the head came off. It peels aluminum off the inner hub.

If you have rivet problems you will see lot's of aluminum in the oil and rivet parts on the magnetic drain plug. To visually check the conditon of the rivets you have to pull the basket which means a big socket and an air wrench.

Kleualle's rivet went thru his tranny which is a bad scenario. When one comes loose it is definately like a spoon in a garbage disposer.

Only heared of this happening on the 04 TE510.Most of the 04 -510 will have it happen.Rivets were not pressed right.Not seen or heared later bikes to have this type of failer.Can't understand why Husky didn't stick to the stainless one piece basket & gear on the 04 - 450 real quality item will never break or wear.

I have only heard of it happening on the 510's. I have heard of about five failures here on TT. My dealer was able to arrange a free clutch basket thru Husky USA (Thanks guys) and they included a set of new rivets. I suppose I could replace the existing rivets in the old basket with those but I just dropped in the new basket.

Two rivets on mine broke, one came completely out and the other just the head came off. It peels aluminum off the inner hub.

If you have rivet problems you will see lot's of aluminum in the oil and rivet parts on the magnetic drain plug. To visually check the conditon of the rivets you have to pull the basket which means a big socket and an air wrench.

Kleualle's rivet went thru his tranny which is a bad scenario. When one comes loose it is definately like a spoon in a garbage disposer.

Excellent excellent post to summarize the situation. Glad you posted now I know what is going on better and won't worry about it on my TE250 too much.

Excellent excellent post to summarize the situation. Glad you posted now I know what is going on better and won't worry about it on my TE250 too much.

Same here, so I just can worry about the valves on my `04 TE450 :thumbsup:

Does anyone have or know of a 2004 TE 250/450/510 scrap engine I could salvage transmission and clutch parts from cheap?

ktl...

I hate to say it, especially since we talked on the phone about your bike before you bought it and that call may have been the deciding factor in you buying it; But you might be $ ahead by parting it out.

It is most likely worth $5K now, max. Take the $2k off of that and you are at $3k. I think you could part it out on Ebay and net that. Hell I'd buy a bunch of stuff off of you.

But? Then you have to go buy another bike. If I were you I'd just fix it and move on. Then again you culd get an '06 TC450 for about $4500.

Maybe you could talk your dealer into going to bat for you with Husky USA and get them to discount the parts to their cost so he could still make a buck and save you $500 or so?