Sign in to follow this  

How To Calculate Your Gas/oil Mix

I've seen several posts where people ask about ratios and not one reply did I see anyone explaining the calculation. So to help out the new 2 smokers, here it is.

You are mixing ounces of oil, so you must convert gallons to ounces. 1 Gallon = 128 ounces. So now you have 3 gallons of gas. How much oil do you put in?

Multiply 3x128=384, now divide by your ratio 32 (32:1), which equals 12 ounces of oil. 5 gallons = 20 ounces.

HAPPY MIXING :thumbsup:

At the very least, you should determine how much oil you need for one gallon especially if you are a trail rider. Makes it easier to mix up at a gas station.

I run 40:1 (3.2 ounces per gallon). I carry 10 ounces of oil with me (my tank is gallons). When I gas up at a station, I can usually geustimate how much gas I have used by the miles traveled. I then add about half the gas needed, add some oil, then nearly top off (leave enough room for remaining needed oil) and add the remaining oil.

I usually get a pop and let the oil/gas mix up for a few minutes and then take it easy for the first few minutes of trail letting the gas slosh around.

Never add the oil before the gas, had a friend do this and plug up his carb because all of the gas went directly to the bottom and didnt mix with the gas very well.

At the very least, you should determine how much oil you need for one gallon especially if you are a trail rider. Makes it easier to mix up at a gas station.

I run 40:1 (3.2 ounces per gallon). I carry 10 ounces of oil with me (my tank is gallons). When I gas up at a station, I can usually geustimate how much gas I have used by the miles traveled. I then add about half the gas needed, add some oil, then nearly top off (leave enough room for remaining needed oil) and add the remaining oil.

I usually get a pop and let the oil/gas mix up for a few minutes and then take it easy for the first few minutes of trail letting the gas slosh around.

Never add the oil before the gas, had a friend do this and plug up his carb because all of the gas went directly to the bottom and didnt mix with the gas very well.

:ride::thumbsup: