Sign in to follow this  

KTM 300 xc-w or EXC 400...for riding Wa single track

Which bike do you think would be better for the Taneum, Mattawa and Belfair areas.

Currently, I ride a DRZ400S converted as much as can be for trail.

Which bike do you think would be better for the Taneum, Mattawa and Belfair areas.

Currently, I ride a DRZ400S converted as much as can be for trail.

As a former DRZ-e rider, now a EXC 450 rider :thumbsup: either one and as soon as possible. :ride:

TONY

As a former DRZ-e rider, now a EXC 450 rider :thumbsup: either one and as soon as possible. :ride:

TONY

I am coming off a drz400s and now ride a Beta 450. I will agree, what ever you chose, you will be vary happy. The exc 400 might not have more power over your drz but 40 less pounds and you will be used to its power delivery. I have friends with the 300's and love everything about them. even lighter and more powerful but you will have to learn the 2-stroke.

I made the switch and could not be happier and I am sure what ever bike you pick, you will love.

Well as a DRZ400e rider myself and also currently wanting to upgrade to something better. I would say wait until FI is part of the package, I don't see how anyone could not wait 1 more year to get and even better bike for practically the same price...

Jeff, either is an ideal choice. I guess it would come down to "do you want a 2 or 4 stroke". I suspect the range would be better on the 400, and not having to worry about mixed gas. I suspect the 400 would be better for real slow technical stuff IMHO

Go with the 2 Stroke. The only reason I have a 4 stroke is they won't let have 2 stroke on the street.
One drawback might be the red/green sticker deal. I know we are not California, but a year or two ago, we voted to adopt (ballot measure) California emissions and it passed. I dont know how far they want to take it, but this could be part of the same deal and you would not be able to ride it year round. Not law yet, may may be. Then, again, prior purchased bikes from "X" year back may be exempted which California also did.

You would like either, but you said Taneum, Mattawa and Belfair. At Mattawa I'd rather have a four stroke, in the woods I'd rather have the 300. In fact in the woods I'd rather have a 200, so that's what I got! The less weight the better I think.

Greg.

I love my 300 ktm as it is way light and has tons of power. many call them a "3 stroke" because it has low low end power and a much more linear power band than a typical two stroke hit. lighter, and more power....not bad.

Joe

I agree w Inlaw. I ride a 400s trailed out as much as I can in the OMRA DS events and have a great time on it. But for everything else, ride a 200 exc. Once you get used to clutching and the 2t hit, it's nothing but grins. The thing really rails the tight stuff, much better than the rider, but hey.

I'm going to try it at the Washougal open track day this wed.